Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

LIKE a vowel

LIKE a vowel

Author
Toreador
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
philip.cullingworth (12/3/2012)
For interest, I thought I'd have a bit more of a look at which options displayed this effect, what caused Æ and æ to be returned.

It appears on our server (SQL 2005) that it is having a and e together in the like statement that causes this.

Changing the first like returned the following results (keeping the collation as in the question):
[ae] returns Æ and æ
[eaiou] returns nothing
[uioea] returns Œ(140) and œ(156)

It appears that SQL is doing more than checking for just the characters entered.

Philip

It's obvious now I've read that!

Thanks for the explanation, and thanks to Tom for the question :-)
Rich Weissler
Rich Weissler
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)

I got it wrong, but have been playing with the query. If I switch from char(1) values to nchar(1) and search 65535 values, it spits out six values:
Æ 198
æ 230
Ǣ 482
ǣ 483
Ǽ 508
ǽ 509
---
I don't see any other accented versions of Œ 338, and œ 339.

Excellent. And there are double letters for dz (two different forms), lj, nj too.

Fascinating.
Lon-860191
Lon-860191
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Not a lucky guess, but a good question none the less. After reviewing the answer and explanation, I learned something, probably nothing I can use today, but who knows where the future lies.
Thanks,
Lon
Paul White
Paul White
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Super question.

Paul White
SQLPerformance.com
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Jaroslav Pfauser
Jaroslav Pfauser
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (710 reputation)Say Hey Kid (710 reputation)Say Hey Kid (710 reputation)Say Hey Kid (710 reputation)Say Hey Kid (710 reputation)Say Hey Kid (710 reputation)Say Hey Kid (710 reputation)Say Hey Kid (710 reputation)

(0 row(s) affected)

SQL2008 (64-bit) SP2
Paul White
Paul White
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

Jaroslav Pfauser (12/3/2012)
(0 row(s) affected)
SQL2008 (64-bit) SP2

It seems you wrote a test script that did not cover the full range of possibilities. Include CHAR(198) and CHAR(230) in your test.
(2 row(s) affected)

Paul White
SQLPerformance.com
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Robert-378556
Robert-378556
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

SQL Kiwi (12/3/2012)
Jaroslav Pfauser (12/3/2012)
(0 row(s) affected)
SQL2008 (64-bit) SP2

It seems you wrote a test script that did not cover the full range of possibilities. Include CHAR(198) and CHAR(230) in your test.
(2 row(s) affected)

Doesn't the test sql provided in answer already do that?
On my server it returns 0 rows, so it appears like some other things affect this. Maybe default collation. Probably.
Rich Weissler
Rich Weissler
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)

On my server it returns 0 rows, so it appears like some other things affect this. Maybe default collation. Probably.

I'd suspect a different set of Extended ASCII characters, probably not the default collation on the server. For the folks who are getting no records back, what language is the machine running?

[appending] Yeah, it looks like several of the ASCII character sets don't include those AE/ae characters. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO/IEC_8859
Rob Schripsema
Rob Schripsema
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

Great question...but a challenge for a Monday morning!

Rob Schripsema
Propack, Inc.
sestell1
sestell1
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

Very interesting question... definitely not something I would have realized otherwise.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.