Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SSIS to get external data, Security risk?

SSIS to get external data, Security risk?

Author
bugg
Old Hand
Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi All,

I want to use a SSIS package to grab data from an external suppliers mySQL database.
I have read access to the tables I require. My Question is if a run this package on my production server does it propose a security risk?

Many thanks
sanjaykattimani
sanjaykattimani
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Security risk mostly depends on what your package does. If you can provide more details on what does your package do and why do you think it can be a security risk, we can provide a better feedback.
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

It might. The package will need access to the external database, so ports probably will have to be opened. And you're transfering data over the network, so there might be some risk there.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?

Member of LinkedIn. My blog at SQLKover.

MCSA SQL Server 2012 - MCSE Business Intelligence
bugg
bugg
Old Hand
Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)

I think it should be fine, i get the data from a MySql database belonging to an external supplier. We have only allowed the connection from their IP so shouldn't be a problem?
Orlando Colamatteo
Orlando Colamatteo
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)

Connection from their IP? I thought you said you were connecting to a remote MySQL server. From a network security perspective only an outgoing connection from the server running your SSIS package to the server running MySQL should be necessary to allow.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
bugg
bugg
Old Hand

opc.three (12/13/2012)
Connection from their IP? I thought you said you were connecting to a remote MySQL server. From a network security perspective only an outgoing connection from the server running your SSIS package to the server running MySQL should be necessary to allow.

Apologies, typed that last comment in a rush. You a correct there is only the allowed outgoing connection from our server to their IP through the fire wall.
Orlando Colamatteo
Orlando Colamatteo
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)

bugg (12/14/2012)
opc.three (12/13/2012)

Apologies, typed that last comment in a rush. You a correct there is only the allowed outgoing connection from our server to their IP through the fire wall.

Sounds good. I was just making sure you did not open any unnecessary access points into your network for the data pull. Cheers.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.