Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Rebuilding System Databases

Rebuilding System Databases

Author
SQLSACT
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi Guys

Situation: SQL 2008 Master DB is corrupt, instance won't start and I have backups of the master database

I'm referencing the following article:
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Rebuilding+system+databases/87156/

It seems that when your Master database is corrupt, the rebuild process recreates all your system databases, is this necessary if just your Master is broken?

Is there another way to get around this situation?

Thanks
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)

Yes, it is necessary. Rebuild the system databases, start SQL, restore the backups of the system DBs.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

SQLSACT
SQLSACT
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

GilaMonster (11/28/2012)
Yes, it is necessary. Rebuild the system databases, start SQL, restore the backups of the system DBs.

Could this possibly work:

>> Restore the Master database to another SQL Instance
>> Replace with mdf and ldf of the corrupted master with a copy of the restored master files
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)

I would not recommend restoring master to other servers. Not least because you overwrite that server's master DB which you then have to go and restore from its backups later.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

SQLSACT
SQLSACT
UDP Broadcaster

GilaMonster (11/28/2012)
I would not recommend restoring master to other servers. Not least because you overwrite that server's master DB which you then have to go and restore from its backups later.

And restoring it as a different database?
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)

SQLSACT (11/28/2012)
GilaMonster (11/28/2012)

>> Replace with mdf and ldf of the corrupted master with a copy of the restored master files

I have previously restored the master as a user database and detached it, renamed the disk files back and then plugged them into the corrupted instance

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" ;-)
SQLSACT
SQLSACT
UDP Broadcaster

Perry Whittle (11/28/2012)
SQLSACT (11/28/2012)
GilaMonster (11/28/2012)

I have previously restored the master as a user database and detached it, renamed the disk files back and then plugged them into the corrupted instance

Is it just me or does this seem like a much simpler approach?

Are there any downsides to this method?
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)

For the instance to start it needs to have a master db present, i use the tact above and then make sure to restore a full system backup set once the instance is accessible

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" ;-)
george sibbald
george sibbald
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)

it won't help this time I know, but I always keep flat files copies of the system databases (I take a copy at each upgrade), then these can just be slid into place in the event of a corruption.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.