SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Adding table columns and updating them in Execute Sql Task

Adding table columns and updating them in Execute Sql Task

Author
neilnewton001
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)SSC Rookie (37 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

Relatively new to SSIS. I have a table that I've created in a data flow. Back out in the control flow, after the table has been created, I am trying to add two fields to this table which will hold the first and last name for a record since the name in this table has one field with both first and last names; I need to split them. All of the attempts below were done in an Execute Sql task.

First I tried to alter the table using an alter table command in the Execute Sql Task. I used this to add the two fields. Then I did an update statement with the split of the single name field into the new fields. I got an "SqlCommand.Prepare method requires all variable length parameters to have an explicitly set non-zero Size" error.

I then tried to save the table to a temp table (one pound sign) and then alter the temp table to have the two new fields. Then I tried to update the fields. I got the same "SqlCommand.Prepare" error as above.

Then I tried to create a view which selected all the fields from my table and, in the select statement for the view, I add two substring commands (as fields in the select) to split the single name, first extracting the first name and then extracting the second name. When I tried to create the view I was told that I had a syntax error near the word "view". I moved the create command to SSMS and it ran fine:

create view dbo.MyView

as
select *, SUBSTRING(EmployeeName, 1, CHARINDEX(' ', EmployeeName) - 1) as FirstName,
SUBSTRING(EmployeeName, CHARINDEX(' ', EmployeeName) + 1, LEN(EmployeeName)) as Lastname
FROM dbo.MyTable

;
GO

Any Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Fig000
Phil Parkin
Phil Parkin
SSCoach
SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
It would be useful background info to have some idea of what your source and destination are - is this a flat file to SQL Server import, or something different?

I would probably be looking into using derived column transformations within your data flow to break up the name column.

SSIS is highly dependent on design-time meta data, so doing things like adding run-time columns will often be unworkable.

Help us to help you. For better, quicker and more-focused answers to your questions, consider following the advice in this link.

If the answer to your question can be found with a brief Google search, please perform the search yourself, rather than expecting one of the SSC members to do it for you.

Please surround any code or links you post with the appropriate IFCode formatting tags. It helps readability a lot.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.