Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Using ::fn_dblog() to find who deleted the rows in a table.

Using ::fn_dblog() to find who deleted the rows in a table.

Author
dedicatedtosql
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Thank you very much for the advice.
Actualy We have both CDC as well as Auditing in place for the prod database. But this was a local environment. Where we have many sysadmins. I know it is a worst practice. I am new here and I adviced them not to. But they want it to stay this way.

Regards
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)SSC-Forever (47K reputation)

krishnarajeesh (12/23/2012)
That is OPERATION 'LOP_DELETE_ROWS' will not have have the login info, where as "LOP_BEGIN_XACT" for that delete will have.

No, it won't. It has the database user info, not the login info.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

dedicatedtosql (12/26/2012)

Thank you very much for the advice.
Actualy We have both CDC as well as Auditing in place for the prod database. But this was a local environment. Where we have many sysadmins. I know it is a worst practice. I am new here and I adviced them not to. But they want it to stay this way.

Regards

Looks to me like you need to set up auditing and CDC in this environment as well.

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
arnipetursson
arnipetursson
Old Hand
Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)

If you have default trace records from around the time of the delete, you may be able to compile a list of suspects. Hopefully you do not too may people that have sysadmin access on your system.
Lowell
Lowell
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

arnipetursson (12/28/2012)
If you have default trace records from around the time of the delete, you may be able to compile a list of suspects. Hopefully you do not too may people that have sysadmin access on your system.

That won't help, I'm afraid.
the default trace captured DDL changes..CREATE TABLE/INDEX etc kinds of things.

it does not capture any DML statements like INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE; for that you need a different custom trace set up prior to the changes occurring to get any relevant info from any trace.

Lowell

--
help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

arnipetursson
arnipetursson
Old Hand
Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)Old Hand (339 reputation)

I am aware of that.
However you can deduce who is doing what based on the entries in the default trace.
satyam9373
satyam9373
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

use tempdb
go
SELECT
[Current LSN],
[Operation],
[Transaction ID],
[Description], SPID,[Begin Time], [Transaction SID],
name 'LoginName'
FROM fn_dblog (NULL, NULL),
(select sid,name from sys.syslogins) sl
where [Transaction Name] LIKE '%delete%' and [Transaction SID] = sl.sid

my be it help's

Regards,
Satyam
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)SSC-Forever (45K reputation)

arnipetursson (12/28/2012)
I am aware of that.
However you can deduce who is doing what based on the entries in the default trace.

How? How can you deduce who did a simple delete on a table from anything that appears in the default trace? I'm asking not as a challenge... I'm asking because, if you've actually been able to pull that off, I'd REALLY like to know because it would be incredibly useful.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
Although they tell us that they want it real bad, our primary goal is to ensure that we dont actually give it to them that way.
Although change is inevitable, change for the better is not.
Just because you can do something in PowerShell, doesnt mean you should. Wink

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
arnipetursson
arnipetursson
Old Hand

I have been able to deduce from seeing other activity by logins with sa privileges around the time of a given event.
E.g. tempdb object creation or worse yet sort warnings.

All it tells you is that a given login from a given server was active at a certain time.

Presumably a small list of logins has the ability to delete data.

I have found the culprit causing slowness at a given time, by finding sort warnings related to certain sessions.

All I am saying is that you can come up with a list of people to ask if you get lucky.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.