SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Pipes at the End

Pipes at the End

Author
AndrewSQLDBA
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hello Everyone
I am loading some data, not clean and not from another SQL source. So there are all kinds of things mixed in the data.

At the very end of each row in the table, in the very last column, I have a blank space followed by two pipes ( ||). I need to delete the blank space and the two pipe, but none of the data in front of that in the same column. Each row is different for that particular column. But this odd charachter mix is always at the very end.

How can I most efficiently delete the blank space and the two pipes

Thank you in advance for you help

Andrew SQLDBA
KylesWay
KylesWay
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)

You could try altering the 'raw' data. If this is in txt form (or is you can get it there), you could use a Ctrl + H (Find and Replace). Then try your import. That may work. Do you have that option?
SQL_Kills
SQL_Kills
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (660 reputation)SSChasing Mays (660 reputation)SSChasing Mays (660 reputation)SSChasing Mays (660 reputation)SSChasing Mays (660 reputation)SSChasing Mays (660 reputation)SSChasing Mays (660 reputation)SSChasing Mays (660 reputation)

Hi,

Can you not add a update statement at the end of the package, which update all that column and removes any pipeline characters?

update yourtablename
set yourcolumnname = REPLACE(<columnname>,char(124),char(32))

KylesWay
KylesWay
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)

I went back and revisited this. The code below should work for you. I created a Table with a Column in it. Added text that ended with ' ||' and then ran this against it.

UPDATE [dbo].[Table1]
SET [Col3] = (SELECT SUBSTRING(Col3, 1, + CHARINDEX(' ||',Col3, -1)))
GO

Good luck.
AndrewSQLDBA
AndrewSQLDBA
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)

Yes, thank you
That worked perfectly

Thanks again for your assistance

Andrew SQLDBA
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.