SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

transaction log file full

transaction log file full

Author
arkiboys
Old Hand
Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)Old Hand (316 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
How do I solve this error please?
Thanks
Mac1986
Mac1986
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (551 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (551 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (551 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (551 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (551 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (551 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (551 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (551 reputation)

Can you be more descriptive on this.

DB Recovery mode:
Is Differential Backups been taken every while.

OR.. Do this

DBCC Shrinkfile(Adventureworks2012_Log, 512);
mahesh.dasoni
mahesh.dasoni
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (127 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (127 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (127 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (127 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (127 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (127 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (127 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (127 reputation)

It can be because ur log file is set to restricted growth or drive on which log file is kept is full.
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)

Please read through this: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Transaction+Log/72488/

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Mac1986
Mac1986
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (551 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (551 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (551 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (551 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (551 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (551 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (551 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (551 reputation)

Thanks mahesh:
Lets say if the drive is full, what options do we have apart from growing the mount point capacity.

Or is there a way to match the LSN here? the tran log backup is failing because the log space full.

how can I change the log_reuse_wait to 'NOTHING' from 'Replication'
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)

Mac1986 (10/29/2012)
Thanks mahesh:
Lets say if the drive is full, what options do we have apart from growing the mount point capacity.

Or is there a way to match the LSN here? the tran log backup is failing because the log space full.

how can I change the log_reuse_wait to 'NOTHING' from 'Replication'

Please don't post in multiple threads for the same problem. I answered you in the thread you started, please keep the discussion there for simplicity and clarity.

Gail Shaw
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

Mac1986
Mac1986
Mr or Mrs. 500

Hello Master Gail: Thanks a million for such beautiful article on log behavior.

Quick Question: I have seen a situation where the there is no replication setup on the DB . CDC is wnabled. and the log_reuse_wait_desc shows as 'Replication'..

As per the article, undistributed transaction is causing the Log Growth. how can i check if which undistributed LSN ((43831:51:1) in my case) provided in DBCC OPENTRAN output is pointing to DDL operations of type ALTER TABLE.

how can i relate and compare the LSN in OPENTRAN with DDL Operation
Please have your comments on this..
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru

Mac1986 (10/29/2012)
Hello Master Gail: Thanks a million for such beautiful article on log behavior.

Quick Question: I have seen a situation where the there is no replication setup on the DB . CDC is wnabled. and the log_reuse_wait_desc shows as 'Replication'..

As per the article, undistributed transaction is causing the Log Growth. how can i check if which undistributed LSN ((43831:51:1) in my case) provided in DBCC OPENTRAN output is pointing to DDL operations of type ALTER TABLE.

how can i relate and compare the LSN in OPENTRAN with DDL Operation
Please have your comments on this..

Please don't post in multiple threads for the same problem. I answered you in the thread you started, please keep the discussion there for simplicity and clarity.

Gail Shaw

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.