SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SSAS partitions

SSAS partitions

Author
robert.gerald.taylor
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Everything I read says you need Enterprise edition to partition a measure in a SSAS cube. I'm running 2008 R2 on my production server.

SELECT @@Version;

returns:
Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP1) - 10.50.2796.0 (X64) 
Dec 9 2011 11:27:20
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation
Standard Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.1 <X64> (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

Yet, when I open my production cube in BIDs/VS and look at a cube's Partitions tab, I see measures that have multiple franchises (See attached graphic).

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Rob
Attachments
SSAS partitions.PNG (21 views, 47.00 KB)
Mackers
Mackers
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (229 reputation)SSC Veteran (229 reputation)SSC Veteran (229 reputation)SSC Veteran (229 reputation)SSC Veteran (229 reputation)SSC Veteran (229 reputation)SSC Veteran (229 reputation)SSC Veteran (229 reputation)

Could you be using Enterprise SSAS & Standard SQL Server?

Mack
robert.gerald.taylor
robert.gerald.taylor
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

Mackers (10/25/2012)
Could you be using Enterprise SSAS & Standard SQL Server?

I don't think so, but I double checked. I connected to the SSAS server with SSMS, right clicked on the server and went to Reports, Standard Reports, General and it says:

Edition:   Standard64
Version: 10.50.2796.0

Was partitioning something that changed between SSAS 2005 and 2008? so that it's now allowed in Standard edition?

Puzzled,
Rob
Charles Hearn
Charles Hearn
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)

You need to make sure that your development environment edition in BIDS is set to match your production environment. See the link below:

http://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/2150/edition-specific-ssas-development-using-bids/
robert.gerald.taylor
robert.gerald.taylor
SSCommitted

Charles,

But my situation is that I have 2008 R2 Standard edition on the production server, but when I open the production SSAS database directly through BIDS/VS I see partitions on my measures -- which I didn't think was possible in Standard edition. (See attached screen capture of production SSAS db)

Rob
Attachments
Partitions.PNG (10 views, 43.00 KB)
Martin Schoombee
Martin Schoombee
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

robert.gerald.taylor (10/25/2012)
Charles,

But my situation is that I have 2008 R2 Standard edition on the production server, but when I open the production SSAS database directly through BIDS/VS I see partitions on my measures -- which I didn't think was possible in Standard edition. (See attached screen capture of production SSAS db)

Rob

That is interesting...what do you see when you look at the partitions in Management Studio?

robert.gerald.taylor
robert.gerald.taylor
SSCommitted

In SSMS, I have the partitions as well. See attached screen capture.

It makes me think that this changed since SSAS 2005 to allow for partitions in Standard edition.

Rob
Attachments
SSMS partitions.PNG (19 views, 21.00 KB)
Martin Schoombee
Martin Schoombee
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

robert.gerald.taylor (10/25/2012)
In SSMS, I have the partitions as well. See attached screen capture.

It makes me think that this changed since SSAS 2005 to allow for partitions in Standard edition.

Rob

Not according to BOL...but hey, if you are getting it for free there's no reason for complaints :-)

robert.gerald.taylor
robert.gerald.taylor
SSCommitted

Martin Schoombee (10/25/2012)
Not according to BOL...but hey, if you are getting it for free there's no reason for complaints :-)

Okay; I wanted to make sure I wasn't losing it or missing something obvious as everything I had read as well said you needed Enterprise edition to use partitions in SSAS.

Thanks,
Rob
Charles Hearn
Charles Hearn
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)

This is interesting. Do you know if its allowing parallel processing of the partitions?
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.