SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Five percent rounded down

Five percent rounded down

Author
mhtanner
Valued Member
Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Five percent rounded down
kapil_kk
kapil_kk
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

god start with a coffee +2 :-)

Raghavendra Mudugal
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

Very interesting, thank you for the question.

(and Happy Dasara to all)

ww; Raghu
--
The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.
Tom Thomson
Tom Thomson
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

Nice question.

The trick of adding 0.000000001 to the multiplicand might work sometimes, but it isn't the best way to handle this.

Until someone introduces proper modern floating point into SQL (which would eliminate the problem completely) the way to handle this is to use round, which means going via numeric. So in this case, change the calculation for Quota3 to be either
select @Quota3 = round(@Value*cast(1.05 as numeric(5,2)) ,0);
or
select @Quota3 = round(cast((cast(@Value as float) * 1.05) as numeric(38,27)),0);
and the problem goes away. (and of course there should be similar changes in the calculations of the other two numbers).
Note that it is necessary, in the second version, to change from using real to using float if you want it to work whatever your integer is. Real (float(24)) is not a sensible type to use for this, since it can't represent all 32 bit integers; so it makes sense to change real to float, which can, as well as using round.

But proper modern floating point would be much much better. It's about time we were hearing something about it for SQL Standards, as it's now 50 months since IEEE 754-2008 was published.

Tom

Michael Riemer
Michael Riemer
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

Thanks for the question, it is a great point to learn from! I hadn't seen this before, but know there are always issues with real and float numbers so had to check, and the title kind of gave me a clue that something wouldn't be right.

I guess you only really know this if it has bitten you already!
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (34K reputation)

Interesting question, thanks.
I do wonder how people are supposed to get this right without running the script.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
palotaiarpad
palotaiarpad
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

Lets play a bit:
Select cast(100 as real) * 1.05,cast(cast(100 as real) * 1.05 as int);
-- Result is 105, 104

The result is very strange for me. Does SQL Server the calculation from inside to outside or not? w00t
Raghavendra Mudugal
Raghavendra Mudugal
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

palotaiarpad (10/24/2012)
Lets play a bit:
Select cast(100 as real) * 1.05,cast(cast(100 as real) * 1.05 as int);
-- Result is 105, 104

The result is very strange for me. Does SQL Server the calculation from inside to outside or not? w00t

...change the second "real" to "numeric" it gives same as 105...

(as it says in BOL "Approximate-number data types for use with floating point numeric data. Floating point data is approximate; therefore, not all values in the data type range can be represented exactly. ")

ww; Raghu
--
The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.
malleswarareddy_m
malleswarareddy_m
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

Nice question.

Malleswarareddy
I.T.Analyst
MCITP(70-451)
palotaiarpad
palotaiarpad
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

My problem is, that the first expression evaluates to 105, and if i cast the 105 to int it should remain 105 and not less.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.