SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

How do you admin your databases?

How do you admin your databases?

Poll
Can you connect your desktop SSMS to all your production, test, and dev servers?

55.56% - 30 votes Yes
55.56% 30 votes
20.37% - 11 votes Yes, but with extra authentication
20.37% 11 votes
18.52% - 10 votes No - you mad? That's crazy. RDP all the way.
18.52% 10 votes
5.56% - 3 votes No - other connection
5.56% 3 votes
Member votes: 51, Guest votes: 0. You don't have permission to vote in this poll
Author
RichB
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
So

I would like to try and find out - ideally for those working for a single employer - not consulting multiplexers working from home (but yes, them too!) how you actually do your job?

Some people have untrusted domains, locked off by firewalls and just an rdp connection. Others can connect straight from their desktops.

Where do you fit in, what is 'normal'

Cheers all

Rich

Grant Fritchey
Grant Fritchey
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)SSC-Forever (40K reputation)

The only problem with RDP is that if you have 3rd party tools to help you with your work, and you have individualized settings on those tools, RDP sessions require extra licensing and possibly extra set up. That's why I like two different security paths better.

----------------------------------------------------
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...
Theodore Roosevelt

The Scary DBA
Author of: SQL Server Query Performance Tuning and SQL Server Execution Plans
Product Evangelist for Red Gate Software
RichB
RichB
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

I'm asking because of the situation I find myself in, locked away behind firewalls, very little access.

Multiple domains that can't see each other, tools that can't connect up... etc. Just wondering if I'm alone, or if that is reasonably normal.

The response so far seems mixed... but does suggest I am not alone! Perhaps we should start a support group Smile

rajaster
rajaster
Valued Member
Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)

Hey Rich, I used to RDP to database on cloud servers. beyond that test/dev servers were kept local so I would only RDP to them when I needed to move files but for SQL queries i'd run through SSMS.

I've also connected to the cloud databases using SSMS however after upgrading to SQL 2008 R2 I found it was really slow to connect locally. My shortcut was amended to connect automatically without me passing credentials, SEE below link if its of any help:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4212912/url-to-make-ssms-start-and-connect-to-a-db
RichB
RichB
SSCommitted

Aye, ta. Also worth knowing about the runas /netonly command, which will allow you to use your local ssms to connect and windows authenticate to servers on a different domain. But only of couse, if you have a port open to it...

Mind you, has anyone tried setting up an endpoint on the rdp ports?

pdanes
pdanes
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (746 reputation)Right there with Babe (746 reputation)Right there with Babe (746 reputation)Right there with Babe (746 reputation)Right there with Babe (746 reputation)Right there with Babe (746 reputation)Right there with Babe (746 reputation)Right there with Babe (746 reputation)

Almost exclusively RDP, since I have to perform other tasks on the servers as well. I'm the only developer / DBA / operator in the entire shop. The machine is only visible inside the company's network, so it's relatively safe from attack, and RDP is just easiest.
rajaster
rajaster
Valued Member
Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)Valued Member (56 reputation)

I was trying to remember what else I did. Yes my rdp shortcut also used the /netonly command.

Do you know why a local SSMS is so slow when connecting to SQL 2008 servers. Mind you it was in my last company so I couldnt replicate now.
RichB
RichB
SSCommitted

Could be the autocomplete stuff? Find that dbname.. becomes quite painful if you have a few 1000 objects.

Brandie Tarvin
Brandie Tarvin
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

This whole thing also depends on how segregated the workplace is. If you work in an environment where production DBAs are different from Dev DBAs are different from BI DBAs, then of course you're not going to be able to touch everything you might think you need.

And then if you work in a place where server administration is a different team than the DBAs, that's a whole nother set of perms you lose. @=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.
samalex
samalex
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (437 reputation)SSC-Addicted (437 reputation)SSC-Addicted (437 reputation)SSC-Addicted (437 reputation)SSC-Addicted (437 reputation)SSC-Addicted (437 reputation)SSC-Addicted (437 reputation)SSC-Addicted (437 reputation)

On our end I use SSMS directly from my system to reach all of our systems, and on the few off-site systems I can VPN into those and still use SSMS. Red Gate SQL Prompt has spoiled me, and given I have it locally it's nice to have regardless of which server I'm connected to.

As for authentication, my domain account is not a sysadmin on all of our servers, specially on vendor maintained servers, so on some i have to log in but most I can just use trusted authentication.

I honestly don't care to use SQL over RDP mainly because it's slow and we don't have SQL Prompt installed on any of the servers. Yeah I can get by without it, did for MANY years, but it's still nice to have Smile
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.