Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Small database with 1 million users

Small database with 1 million users

Author
Sqlsavy
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (240 reputation)SSC Veteran (240 reputation)SSC Veteran (240 reputation)SSC Veteran (240 reputation)SSC Veteran (240 reputation)SSC Veteran (240 reputation)SSC Veteran (240 reputation)SSC Veteran (240 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi all,

We've a small database (1 GB) and SQL 2005 server is clustered one. Now Business is forecasting that database will be accessed by million users by early next year.

Currently there are only 300 users using the database .

How to plan the resources for such a massive requirement?

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Cheers
durai nagarajan
durai nagarajan
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

what about windows group access if it requires only same level of access..

Regards
Durai Nagarajan
Sqlsavy
Sqlsavy
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (240 reputation)SSC Veteran (240 reputation)SSC Veteran (240 reputation)SSC Veteran (240 reputation)SSC Veteran (240 reputation)SSC Veteran (240 reputation)SSC Veteran (240 reputation)SSC Veteran (240 reputation)

Thanks for your response but i am not worried about giving access through AD group.

My question is how much CPU, Disk etc is required so that users can access the database without any bottlenecks
Chandra Sekhara Vyas Dhara
Chandra Sekhara Vyas Dhara
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)

What is the server meant for ? Reporting or transactions? What is the budget ?

durai nagarajan
durai nagarajan
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

but i am not worried about giving access through AD group.

what is the thing you are worried about?

Regards
Durai Nagarajan
Sqlsavy
Sqlsavy
SSC Veteran

This is a archived database and data is viewed via a managed solution. Budget is not an issue
Bhuvnesh
Bhuvnesh
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

-------Bhuvnesh----------
I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)
Bhuvnesh
Bhuvnesh
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

Sqlsavy (10/15/2012)
there is not any hard and fast rule for hardware upgradation , it depends on variuos factors like

no of concurrent users (in future)
Disaster recovery plan
data growth
how will you handle reports (same or different server ) in future
disk management
AND how much rich or complex application would be in future from resource comsumption point of view
etc etc

-------Bhuvnesh----------
I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)
Sqlsavy
Sqlsavy
SSC Veteran

Thanks!
TheSQLGuru
TheSQLGuru
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6K reputation)

Sqlsavy (10/15/2012)
Hi all,

We've a small database (1 GB) and SQL 2005 server is clustered one. Now Business is forecasting that database will be accessed by million users by early next year.

Currently there are only 300 users using the database .

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Cheers

There are MANY factors that come into play when trying to get SQL Server to the extremes of scale. And they aren't all inside SQL Server or the Windows server itself either. Application connection pooling, network latency/bandwidth are two that come to mind outside the server. Networking stack configuration on the server will be key. Inside SQL, wow - the list of things that could be a bottleneck or may need to be tweaked is long, everything from latching issues to minimum memory per query.

You REALLY need to get an expert consultant involved sooner rather than later. You need a VERY VERY THOROUGH scalability testing plan, because I GUARANTEE you that you will run into things that will need to be dealt with. For example, I think you will need to avoid having a different login per user too - the login validation and security/access overhead would be overwhelming I think.

Honestly my gut says SQL Server cannot do 1M concurrent users on access regardless of hardware capabilities. I imagine you will need to have a scale-out approach if you need any reasonable fraction of those 1M users connected at the same time. Of course there is (currently) no version of SQL Server that can do this out of the box, so you will need to be creative.

In any case, best of luck with it, and please keep us apprised of your activities and how things go. I have helped some clients over the years get to extreme scale on SQL Server (7400+ databases on one server for example), and it is always interesting!! BTW, I would LOVE to help you try to get this to work. Cool

Best,

Kevin G. Boles
SQL Server Consultant
SQL MVP 2007-2012
TheSQLGuru at GMail
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.