Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Cannot connect with "SQL Server" driver but I can with "SQL Server Native Client 10.0"

Cannot connect with "SQL Server" driver but I can with "SQL Server Native Client 10.0"

Author
ole 8332
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hello, hope someone can sort this out..

I have this strange issue in my setup.
In my connection string I cannot connect with "SQL Server" driver but I can connect with "SQL Server Native Client 10.0"
Both drivers are visible from within ODBC Administrator

"Driver={SQL Server Native Client 10.0};Server=dbMirror1,777;Failover_Partner=dbMirror2,777;Database=MyDB;Uid=dbuser;Pwd=password;Network=dbmssocn"

Setup:
I have three Windows 2008 R2 servers
All servers are in a workgroup
2 servers are running SQL 2008 R2 and have database-mirror setup
1 server running as withness

I want to be able to use the "SQL Server" driver....
Where should I start looking to solve it?

/Ole
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)

ole 8332 (10/11/2012)
Hello, hope someone can sort this out..

I have this strange issue in my setup.
In my connection string I cannot connect with "SQL Server" driver but I can connect with "SQL Server Native Client 10.0"
Both drivers are visible from within ODBC Administrator

"Driver={SQL Server Native Client 10.0};Server=dbMirror1,777;Failover_Partner=dbMirror2,777;Database=MyDB;Uid=dbuser;Pwd=password;Network=dbmssocn"

Setup:
I have three Windows 2008 R2 servers
All servers are in a workgroup
2 servers are running SQL 2008 R2 and have database-mirror setup
1 server running as withness

I want to be able to use the "SQL Server" driver....
Where should I start looking to solve it?

/Ole

The sql server driver does not support the failover partner parameter

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" ;-)
ole 8332
ole 8332
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

Hi Perry,
This is strange because I have another environment that is 90% similar to this setup. There I am using the "SQL Server" driver!

I'll now try change to the native driver on the similar system in order to have those system indentical

Thank you :-)
/Ole
Orlando Colamatteo
Orlando Colamatteo
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)

The driver named as "SQL Server" was released with SQL Server 2000. It's best to use a driver version consistent with the version of the SQL Server instance, else you cannot take advatage of newer features, including data types. The Native Clients are advertised as being backward compatible so you could get ahead of the curve and implement the SQL Server 2012 Native Client (11.0) and that should support whichever version of SQL Server you're using.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
There are no special teachers of virtue, because virtue is taught by the whole community. --Plato
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.