SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL Agent cannot start

SQL Agent cannot start

Author
Vedran Kesegic
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (712 reputation)Say Hey Kid (712 reputation)Say Hey Kid (712 reputation)Say Hey Kid (712 reputation)Say Hey Kid (712 reputation)Say Hey Kid (712 reputation)Say Hey Kid (712 reputation)Say Hey Kid (712 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Try uninstalling completely and installing some other edition/version of SQL2012.

tstewar
tstewar
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)Forum Newbie (3 reputation)

First of all, please disregard everything anthony.green wrote. It is all wrong. He may be referring to groups set up for SQL Server 2005, it isn't clear. In any case, SQL Server and SQL Agent both run under NT Service accounts unless you change them (say because you need to access network items within the SQL Server or SLQ Agent umbrella) during install or afterwards in service properties.

For some reason, by default, SQL Server 2012 installs so that the NT Service\SQLAgent$<Instance> account does not have access to the BINN folder. The only means that I have found to fix the issue is to hack through the default permissions down to the binn folder (see the executable path in the properties for the service) and grant read/execute permissions to the NT Service ID (you may have to change file ownership in this folder to make this happen). This install program seems to set them for the corresponding MSSQL$<Instance> ID.
Chuck Lathrope
Chuck Lathrope
Valued Member
Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)Valued Member (50 reputation)

I had same issue on windows 2012 R2 server and SQL 2012 SP2 install base. I had to manually grant the nt service\SQLServerAgent rights as shown in this article: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143504(v=sql.110).aspx I didn't have to give special rights to Event log (I tested job failure writing to app log and it did without any custom changes). I wish the installer would just work. I did get an error on install and tried to have sql config manager update to same account again, but it didn't work.

HTH someone in future,
Chuck
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.