SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

search levels

search levels

Author
Mike Saunders NL
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hello all,

I'm wondering if it is possible to do the following. I have a table with locations in the world.
All locations have the locationtype continent, country, state, city, neigbourhood or street.

Also i have a table that tell contains all parent locations of a location (e.g. the parent location of a state is a country) That table looks like:

LocationID, Locationname, ParentlocationID

The parentlocationID refers to the locationID of the parent Location.

Now I want to make a query that shows me all underlying locations of a given location. E.g. when i search for a location that is a country i get all states, cities, neigbourhoods and streets for that country. But when i search for a city it will show only all neighbourhoods and streets.

Does somebody know how to solve this?

Any suggestions are welcome!!

Thanks!!

Mike
J Livingston SQL
J Livingston SQL
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

would you care to provide some set up scripts (create table / sample data) this will help us to clarify your question.

thanks

Mike Saunders NL
Mike Saunders NL
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)SSC Journeyman (85 reputation)

CREATE TABLE [ParentRegionList](
[RegionID] [int] NOT NULL,
[RegionType] [nvarchar](50) NULL,
[RegionName] [nvarchar](255) NULL,
[ParentRegionID] [int] NULL
)

INSERT INTO [ParentRegionList] ([RegionID],[RegionType],[RegionName],[ParentRegionID]) VALUES (1,'Continent','Europe',0)
INSERT INTO [ParentRegionList] ([RegionID],[RegionType],[RegionName],[ParentRegionID]) VALUES (2,'Continent','North America',0)
INSERT INTO [ParentRegionList] ([RegionID],[RegionType],[RegionName],[ParentRegionID]) VALUES (500,'Country','The Netherlands',1)
INSERT INTO [ParentRegionList] ([RegionID],[RegionType],[RegionName],[ParentRegionID]) VALUES (501,'Country','Germany',1)
INSERT INTO [ParentRegionList] ([RegionID],[RegionType],[RegionName],[ParentRegionID]) VALUES (502,'Country','Belgium',1)
INSERT INTO [ParentRegionList] ([RegionID],[RegionType],[RegionName],[ParentRegionID]) VALUES (550,'Country','United States of America',2)
INSERT INTO [ParentRegionList] ([RegionID],[RegionType],[RegionName],[ParentRegionID]) VALUES (800,'State','New York',550)
INSERT INTO [ParentRegionList] ([RegionID],[RegionType],[RegionName],[ParentRegionID]) VALUES (1000,'City','New York',800)
INSERT INTO [ParentRegionList] ([RegionID],[RegionType],[RegionName],[ParentRegionID]) VALUES (1001,'City','Amsterdam',500)
INSERT INTO [ParentRegionList] ([RegionID],[RegionType],[RegionName],[ParentRegionID]) VALUES (1002,'City','Rotterdam',500)
INSERT INTO [ParentRegionList] ([RegionID],[RegionType],[RegionName],[ParentRegionID]) VALUES (1003,'City','Brussels',502)
INSERT INTO [ParentRegionList] ([RegionID],[RegionType],[RegionName],[ParentRegionID]) VALUES (5000,'Neighborhood','Amsterdam Center',1001)
INSERT INTO [ParentRegionList] ([RegionID],[RegionType],[RegionName],[ParentRegionID]) VALUES (5001,'Neighborhood','The Pijp',1001)
INSERT INTO [ParentRegionList] ([RegionID],[RegionType],[RegionName],[ParentRegionID]) VALUES (10001,'Street','Damrak',5000)
INSERT INTO [ParentRegionList] ([RegionID],[RegionType],[RegionName],[ParentRegionID]) VALUES (10002,'Street','Rue de Brussels',1003)

In this example the search variable 1 (Europe) has to show all records that are (in)direct (top down) connected to RegionID 1 so:
500 The Netherlands
501 Germany
502 Belgium
1001 Amsterdam
1002 Rotterdam
1003 Brussels
5000 Amsterdam Center
5001 The Pijp
10001 Damrak
10002 Rue de Brussels

In this example the search variable 800 (state new york) has to show all records that are (in)direct (top down) connected to RegionID 800 so:
1000 New York

In this example the search variable 1001 (Amsterdam) has to show all records that are (in)direct (top down) connected to RegionID 1001 so:
5000 Amsterdam Center
5001 The Pijp
10001 Damrak
Mike Saunders NL
Mike Saunders NL
SSC Journeyman

Hi CELKO,

Thanks for your reply. Your code looks a little bit complex for me so I will studie on it.
Hope i get my project on wheels...

Mike
J Livingston SQL
J Livingston SQL
SSChampion
SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)SSChampion (11K reputation)

Hi Mike

take a look at this article by Jeff Moden...may give you a few ideas

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/72503/

Mike Saunders NL
Mike Saunders NL
SSC Journeyman

hi J Livingston,

That article helps me a lot.. Thanks for your suggestion!!

Mike
PiMané
PiMané
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)

Hi,

Use a CTE

DECLARE @RegionId INT = 1

;WITH
RegionList AS
(
select t.RegionId, t.RegionType, t.RegionName, t.ParentRegionID
from
ParentRegionList t
where RegionID = @RegionId
union all
select t0.RegionId, t0.RegionType, t0.RegionName, t0.ParentRegionID
from
ParentRegionList t0 inner join
RegionList t1 on t0.ParentRegionID = t1.RegionID
)
SELECT * FROM RegionList

This will give all the regions under Europe (@RegionId = 1).
Change the regionId to get whatever regions / sub-regions you want.

Pedro

If you need to work better, try working less...
laurie-789651
laurie-789651
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

Bit of a duplicate post?

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1366265-3077-1.aspx
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.