SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

GO Part 2

GO Part 2

Author
lanre_makinde
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)SSC Journeyman (96 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Sorry the explanation is wrong. Then the question is not properly framed. Questions should be aimed at eliciting understanding....

Even if go is not a standard tsql, then by default i will not add it cos this will depend on my environment.....It does not add to knowledge...no use asking trick questions....
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSCoach
SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)

lanre_makinde (9/19/2012)
Sorry the explanation is wrong. Then the question is not properly framed. Questions should be aimed at eliciting understanding....

Even if go is not a standard tsql, then by default i will not add it cos this will depend on my environment.....It does not add to knowledge...no use asking trick questions....

Maybe you can explain why you think the explanation is wrong? I am very pleased with the explanation - it not only tells you why the correct answer is correct, it also gives you some backgrounds, and a warning. I think it's very well done, so I am looking forward to an explanation of why you feel so different about it.
Also, can you explain why the question is, in your opinion, not properly framed? Is that refering to the yes/no vs true/false debate, or is there something else that should have been different?

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Tom Thomson
Tom Thomson
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)One Orange Chip (25K reputation)

lanre_makinde (9/19/2012)

It appears to me to be right, to be properly framed (at least for fluent English speakers - for others the distinction between yes/no and true/false may be important), and to be very clearly aimed at eliciting understanding.
Can you explain why you reach the opposite conculsion on each of these three points?

Tom

Miles Neale
Miles Neale
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.2K reputation)

joe.wolfe (9/13/2012)
The given answer to this question is "true", but I am not sure this is correct. The "NotGo" throws an error "Incorrect syntax near 'NotGo'" and the variable @Test cannot be declared twice the same procedure or batch...What am I missing?

I felt the same way about this question. But knowing that you can configure things as suggested is a great thing to know about and avoid. Worth learning and even missing the answer to know.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!
Kenneth Fisher
Kenneth Fisher
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)

Miles Neale (9/19/2012)
joe.wolfe (9/13/2012)
The given answer to this question is "true", but I am not sure this is correct. The "NotGo" throws an error "Incorrect syntax near 'NotGo'" and the variable @Test cannot be declared twice the same procedure or batch...What am I missing?

I felt the same way about this question. But knowing that you can configure things as suggested is a great thing to know about and avoid. Worth learning and even missing the answer to know.

It may be worth mentioning (and honestly I'm not sure I haven't already as long as this discussion as gotten) that the first time I encountered this was when I received a script from a vendor using a non standard batch separator. I had to struggle to figure out what was wrong. My original purpose for this question was to help show others what can be done. Not so that they can use it, since honestly I don't think they should, but so if someone else makes use of this functionality they can easily work around it.

And lets be honest, I find it a rather interesting piece of SQL trivia.

Kenneth FisherI strive to live in a world where a chicken can cross the road without being questioned about its motives.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/For better answers on performance questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLStudies.com
Anurag-428305
Anurag-428305
Old Hand
Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)Old Hand (303 reputation)

What a Nonsense this question is?Hehe
(Bob Brown)
(Bob Brown)
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Anurag-428305 (9/20/2012)
What a Nonsense this question is?Hehe

I'm not sure why they made "GO" a configurable batch separator. I'm sure they had a reason that is beyond me but the question is not nonsense in the fact it was something I never knew and even thought about but am aware of now due to this question.
Jamie-2229
Jamie-2229
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)

Was it mentioned how one would change the separator?

Jamie
SQL-DBA-01
SQL-DBA-01
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.2K reputation)

The question was not clear at all...at a surface while using 'notgo', the entire script should prone to a failure..

Thanks.
Kenneth Fisher
Kenneth Fisher
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)

SQL-DBA-01 (10/8/2012)
The question was not clear at all...at a surface while using 'notgo', the entire script should prone to a failure..

Please read the explanation and the previous 79 posts. That should explain it quite thoroughly. If not please post again and I'll try to explain it in a different way.

Kenneth FisherI strive to live in a world where a chicken can cross the road without being questioned about its motives.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/For better answers on performance questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLStudies.com
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.