Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Question of the Day for 08 Oct 2004

Question of the Day for 08 Oct 2004

Author
Hal Platt
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.4K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members

Won't Statement B get an error in both DTS and Query Analyzer because it is missing the leading quote after the select statement?

Hal W Platt
David Kyle
David Kyle
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (229 reputation)SSC Veteran (229 reputation)SSC Veteran (229 reputation)SSC Veteran (229 reputation)SSC Veteran (229 reputation)SSC Veteran (229 reputation)SSC Veteran (229 reputation)SSC Veteran (229 reputation)

That was my impression too.
It must have been a misprint.
pilam152
pilam152
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (170 reputation)

I saw the exact same error. I do not think statement #2 will work at all.

Surefooted
Surefooted
Old Hand
Old Hand (340 reputation)Old Hand (340 reputation)Old Hand (340 reputation)Old Hand (340 reputation)Old Hand (340 reputation)Old Hand (340 reputation)Old Hand (340 reputation)Old Hand (340 reputation)

haha I was going to say the same thing. Oh well.

Surefooted
Peter Kryszak
Peter Kryszak
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Could someone post the KB article relating to this bug. I couldn't find it.

Scott Coleman
Scott Coleman
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

The question as posed says Query B works (in spite of the missing quote). Assuming the missing quote is a misprint, are we to believe that Query B works without the modification given for Query A?

If Query B also requires a CAST, then none of the answers fit the question. It becomes a trick question but not for the reason in answer 3, so all answers are wrong.

Ron Sires
Ron Sires
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)SSChasing Mays (635 reputation)

I couldn't find anything on the Microsoft site about this bug, but I did find a discussion of it at http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=656046&goto=nextoldest. According to the messages there, the bug is somehow related to the length of the SQL query string, but there is a workaround by including a CONVERT or CAST in the query, as is shown in SQL Statement B.

(It looks like the missing open quote in SQL Statement B was an oversight.)

Scott Coleman
Scott Coleman
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)SSCrazy (2.9K reputation)

So if results over 75 chars are a problem, how can Query B (which returns a longer result) possibly work without using the workaround given in the explanation? The question says the problem does not occur for Query B, which is wrong, so none of the answers fit.

Peter Kryszak
Peter Kryszak
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

It appears that without the CAST to VARCHAR(1000) there is some sort of assumption about the length of the result.

So if there is an explicit CAST that assumption is dropped and the query works.

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
I received this question with supporting documentation about an open case with MS. At the time I needed some questions and posted it , but maybe that wasn't a good idea. They typo in query B should not be there, but this is a bug in DTS. I can't find anything referencing it on the web, but I do have case info from MS (which I can't disclose).

Apologies.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.