Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

From Hairdresser to DBA – How to start a career in IT

From Hairdresser to DBA – How to start a career in IT

Author
Greg M. Lucas
Valued Member
Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item From Hairdresser to DBA – How to start a career in IT

Greg M Lucas
"Your mind is like a parachute, it has to be open to work" - Frank Zappa
Chris Houghton
Chris Houghton
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (636 reputation)SSChasing Mays (636 reputation)SSChasing Mays (636 reputation)SSChasing Mays (636 reputation)SSChasing Mays (636 reputation)SSChasing Mays (636 reputation)SSChasing Mays (636 reputation)SSChasing Mays (636 reputation)

Great article - you started my day with a smile :-)
MysteryJimbo
MysteryJimbo
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Chris Houghton (9/11/2012)
Great article - you started my day with a smile :-)

Agreed

This is a very similar way to me except I always wanted to work in IT but circumstances at home caused me to stop my education and begin work in a factory.

After 4 years as a fork lift driver, I complete my MCSE and got my first IT job as a network technician at a small/medium enterprise to cut my teeth and begin planning my career. No small task, especially with the 33% pay cut I'd taken to make the move.
OldCursor
OldCursor
Valued Member
Valued Member (68 reputation)Valued Member (68 reputation)Valued Member (68 reputation)Valued Member (68 reputation)Valued Member (68 reputation)Valued Member (68 reputation)Valued Member (68 reputation)Valued Member (68 reputation)

Me too ...

After a 16 year carreer in the aviation industry I too took a job on the support team of a small software house using my customer facing skills to gain experience and qualifications in database development and data transfer.

I was customer services manager for that company for ten years before going independent.

I too have now been an independent database developer for six years and currently split my time between two busy London based clients. I create and manage SQL Server databases and write SSRS reports. After managing staff and customers my life is now less stressfull, more challenging, and more satisfying!

Converting a hobby into a carreer has worked wonders for me.
:-)
Cycling Yogi
Cycling Yogi
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

Excellent, well written article. Thanks
A pertinent reminder that we don't need to stick in roles that we are unhappy with.

I be very interested to read something from someone who has escaped IT to do something else.

Cheers
aspiring_dba
aspiring_dba
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)Grasshopper (14 reputation)

Really Great Article.

I have one question for you Sir.

How you get your clients for Database Freelancing Job ?
surishetty_shiva
surishetty_shiva
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

Excellent Greg.. I am really inspired :-)
akumbabarns
akumbabarns
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (32 reputation)SSC Rookie (32 reputation)SSC Rookie (32 reputation)SSC Rookie (32 reputation)SSC Rookie (32 reputation)SSC Rookie (32 reputation)SSC Rookie (32 reputation)SSC Rookie (32 reputation)

Excellent write up.
You've got me really inspired.
PravS
PravS
Valued Member
Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)Valued Member (63 reputation)

Great Article...Inspiring…..It has motivated to do something.

I am kind of stuck in a domain that doesn’t interests me, but I am paid well :-D.

On the back of the mind, I know I must change my domain to SQL, since I love SQL. But I do not know who will hire me and pay me well.

After all money is equally important……..But I will plan and change my career into SQL soon. 3 year plan!
dioscoredes
dioscoredes
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)SSC Rookie (41 reputation)

Great respect for your vision, persistence and achievements.
I have served 43 years in enterprise IT coming into the industry as a refugee Ph.D. biochemist during the recession of the early 70's. Many of the finest colleagues I have ever worked with have been academically minimally or not qualified at all. This is humbling. Has left me wondering what on earth we are doing with children in school these days when attainment in working life bears so little relationship with attainment in school.

Men who wish to know about the world must learn about it in its particular details. - Heraclitus
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.