SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

APPLY - 1

APPLY - 1

Author
(Bob Brown)
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Thanks for the great question. I did good for 6:00 AM but have to research the CROSS APPLY more deeply.
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)

Good question, Ron, thanks.

derek.colley
derek.colley
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (862 reputation)SSC Eights! (862 reputation)SSC Eights! (862 reputation)SSC Eights! (862 reputation)SSC Eights! (862 reputation)SSC Eights! (862 reputation)SSC Eights! (862 reputation)SSC Eights! (862 reputation)

Good question, I had it in my head that CROSS APPLY acted like an INNER JOIN and OUTER APPLY acted like an OUTER JOIN, but in fact the CROSS apply would return unique combinations, excluding NULLs on the right - hence my answer of 5.

Never mind, another QOTW chance tomorrow...

---

Note to developers:
CAST(SUBSTRING(CAST(FLOOR(NULLIF(ISNULL(COALESCE(1,NULL),NULL),NULL)) AS CHAR(1)),1,1) AS INT) == 1
So why complicate your code AND MAKE MY JOB HARDER??!Crazy

Want to get the best help? Click here http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ (Jeff Moden)
My blog: http://uksqldba.blogspot.com
Visit http://www.DerekColley.co.uk to find out more about me.

(Bob Brown)
(Bob Brown)
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)SSC Eights! (883 reputation)

derek.colley (9/6/2012)

Derek, Tried the CAST statement in you Post Signature and got an error. Is it supposed to be valid SQL? Thanks.
ronmoses
ronmoses
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

This is the first QotD in a long time (ever?) that, after getting it right, I audibly said "WOO-HOO!"... at work, in an open office area. So yeah, a few strange looks.

Thanks for the great question, I can't wait to get part 2 wrong! :-D

Ron (a different one)

-----
a haiku...

NULL is not zero
NULL is not an empty string
NULL is the unknown

Mike Is Here
Mike Is Here
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)

I guess I don't understand the question. How is using cross-apply with a where join any different then an inner join with the ON (or where) join

SELECT
tblA.S
, tblA.R
, tblB.S
FROM
#A tblA
INNER JOIN
#B tblB
ON tblA.R = tblB.R

sknox
sknox
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

derek.colley (9/6/2012)
Good question, I had it in my head that CROSS APPLY acted like an INNER JOIN and OUTER APPLY acted like an OUTER JOIN, but in fact the CROSS apply would return unique combinations, excluding NULLs on the right - hence my answer of 5.

Never mind, another QOTW chance tomorrow...

CROSS APPLY does act like an INNER JOIN, but not like a DISTINCT. So it does exclude the NULLS (you can see that because there are no rows for Doug in the result set), but it does not only return unique combinations. But that is moot because the result set for this question is all unique combinations anyway:

S R S
Alpha D1234 1001
charlie D1234 1001
beta A1122 4001
harry A1122 4001
Alpha D1234 2001
charlie D1234 2001
bravo C1342 5001
beta A1122 3001
harry A1122 3001

If you change the values in table #B to produce non-unique combinations, you still get 9 results:

S R S
Alpha D1234 1001
charlie D1234 1001
beta A1122 1001
harry A1122 1001
Alpha D1234 1001
charlie D1234 1001
bravo C1342 1001
beta A1122 1001
harry A1122 1001

sknox
sknox
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

mbova407 (9/6/2012)
I guess I don't understand the question. How is using cross-apply with a where join any different then an inner join with the ON (or where) join

SELECT
tblA.S
, tblA.R
, tblB.S
FROM
#A tblA
INNER JOIN
#B tblB
ON tblA.R = tblB.R

This particular example isn't, which is why I wouldn't code this with a CROSS APPLY in production. But you can't JOIN to a table-value function (which is what CROSS APPLY was written for), and you can also put things like TOP X in a subquery with CROSS APPLY to limit the results from the right table, which you can't do in an INNER JOIN. Since this QotD is APPLY - 1, I'm guessing (and hoping) bitbucket has some more detailed examples of how to use CROSS APPLY coming in future questions.
Dana Medley
Dana Medley
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

Thank you for the excellent question this morning Ron. I had to dig around in my head this morning for a while to figure it out, but caffeine makes it possible. No zombie mode for me today and you've given me a few things to read back up on. :-D

Everything is awesome!
sestell1
sestell1
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

Nice question. I've only ever used it with a TVF... It is interesting to know it works with subqueries as well.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.