SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL Trace - simple SELECT shows writes

SQL Trace - simple SELECT shows writes

Author
GordonLiddy
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi there!

As the subject says, when I read a trace file and the SQL:BatchCompleted event, the Writes column contains a value, when the query is only a SELECT statement. It has four JOINS, a few values in the WHERE clause, and finally an ORDER BY. There are no SELECT INTO or INSERT INTO present in the query.

BOL says this about the Writes column:
"The number of physical disk write operations that are performed by the server on behalf of the event."

Are there any internal operations happening on "behalf of the event", or am I missing something here, when reading and trying to interpret the trace file? Been trying to find the answer myself, using Dr.Google, with no luck ...

Thankful for an answer!

Sincerely,

Gord
patrickmcginnis59
patrickmcginnis59
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (645 reputation)SSChasing Mays (645 reputation)SSChasing Mays (645 reputation)SSChasing Mays (645 reputation)SSChasing Mays (645 reputation)SSChasing Mays (645 reputation)SSChasing Mays (645 reputation)SSChasing Mays (645 reputation)

I'm guessing that your query made use of temp tables during its execution. That will generate some writes. I once filled up tempdb by executing a select top n * order by <some columns>. If your query is using a temp table, its going to write to it.
Adi Cohn
Adi Cohn
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

One more option is that you had a multi-line function that explicitly used temporary tables in its code.

Adi

--------------------------------------------------------------
To know how to ask questions and increase the chances of getting asnwers:
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/

For better answers on performance questions, click on the following...
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/
Gazareth
Gazareth
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)Hall of Fame (4K reputation)

Prime suspect for me would be the order by clause - as it acts after the main execution, on the result set which I guess has to be stored somewhere whilst it's being operated on.
GilaMonster
GilaMonster
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)SSC Guru (86K reputation)

Hash joins use a work table that's in tempDB. Both hashes and sorts can spill to tempDB as well.

Gail Shaw
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

GordonLiddy
GordonLiddy
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)SSC Journeyman (88 reputation)

Sounds reasonable. Thank you everyone for your answers!

Sincerely,

Gord
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.