Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

concatenation

concatenation

Author
gaminik1
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)Say Hey Kid (690 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Thanks for the question. I ran in to a similar situation while creating a query last week.
sestell1
sestell1
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

Nice question, and a nice example showing that data type issues don't always result in an error. Implicit conversion isn't always your friend.
sknox
sknox
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)

Prassad Dabbada V R (8/21/2012)
I thought it will conevert everything to int. As the expression eveluates from right to left so from the right first plus will return 121 (120 will be converted to int) and so on and so forth.
but unfortunately my guess is wrong.

No, expressions evaluate from left to right.

I got it wrong because I'm so used to shortcutting the addition of 3 numbers in my head that I for some reason thought SQL Server could do the same. Too early in the morning, not enough coffee, {{insert additional generic excuse}}.
Error Handler
Error Handler
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (734 reputation)Right there with Babe (734 reputation)Right there with Babe (734 reputation)Right there with Babe (734 reputation)Right there with Babe (734 reputation)Right there with Babe (734 reputation)Right there with Babe (734 reputation)Right there with Babe (734 reputation)

Good question..! I m woundering why almost 50% attempts are wrong.

Best,
Naseer Ahmad
SQL Server DBA
Toreador
Toreador
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

sestell1 (8/21/2012)
Implicit conversion isn't always your friend.

Implicit conversion isn't ever your friend!
Divine Flame
Divine Flame
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

Nice question :-). Thanks.

Sujeet Singh
EL Jerry
EL Jerry
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

Nice question, learned something new today. I was quite sure the answer would be 251, but then I remembered data type precedence may be tricky.

Toreador (8/21/2012)
sestell1 (8/21/2012)
Implicit conversion isn't always your friend.

Implicit conversion isn't ever your friend!

Implicit conversion isn't even your friend! :-)

"El" Jerry.

"A watt of Ottawa" - Gerardo Galvan

To better understand your help request, please follow these best practices.
chgn01
chgn01
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

good and easy question, thanks

--------------------------------------
;-)“Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.” ― Confucius
Ken Wymore
Ken Wymore
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)

Nice question about the basics. Thanks!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.