SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

BIT Conversions

BIT Conversions

Author
JoseACJr
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (630 reputation)SSChasing Mays (630 reputation)SSChasing Mays (630 reputation)SSChasing Mays (630 reputation)SSChasing Mays (630 reputation)SSChasing Mays (630 reputation)SSChasing Mays (630 reputation)SSChasing Mays (630 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
..although I have been wrong,

Good question!
Dana Medley
Dana Medley
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.1K reputation)

I almost fell prey to the wording of the question, but after reading it twice I realized my original answers were incorrect. Thank you for the great question.

Everything is awesome!
Thomas Abraham
Thomas Abraham
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)

Excellent question. I particularly like questions, like this one, that highlight areas where the behavior is not as one might think, or is different than you might find in other languages. These are the gotchas that you have to know. Thanks!

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
Connect to me on LinkedIn
mtassin
mtassin
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.2K reputation)

Good back to basics question... I'm glad I had my morning coffee first or I would have missed the 1/True bit. Smile

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
GeauxCode
GeauxCode
Old Hand
Old Hand (381 reputation)Old Hand (381 reputation)Old Hand (381 reputation)Old Hand (381 reputation)Old Hand (381 reputation)Old Hand (381 reputation)Old Hand (381 reputation)Old Hand (381 reputation)

davoscollective (8/14/2012)
Ack! I can explain why the 32%.

I read the question and thought the trick was about the numbers that weren't 1 or 0 and went ahead and ticked all the boxes knowing they would all be inserted.

... but not all as True.

Doh!

My fault for not answering it carefully.

+1

I should know better than to answer before my first cup of coffee...
WayneS
WayneS
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

One of the things that I'm trying to learn is to write better QotD questions. It looks like most that have responded here about missing it have acknowledged not reading the question carefully. So, how could this question have been written better?

(The only thing that I can think of is to have bolded the "as a true / 1 value".)

Wayne
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings

WayneS
WayneS
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

Jan.Sundbye (8/14/2012)
Good one. Once again I fell right into the trap. Must remember to RTFQ / RTFS (Read the **** Question / Statement)

Jan,

I was trying to not have a "trap". What about this question do you consider to have been a trap? (I'm trying to get better at writing these QotD's).

Wayne
If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
Links: For better assistance in answering your questions, How to ask a question, Performance Problems, Common date/time routines,
CROSS-TABS and PIVOT tables Part 1 & Part 2, Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2, Splitting Delimited Strings

WayneS
WayneS
SSC-Insane

Dana Medley (8/14/2012)
I almost fell prey to the wording of the question, but after reading it twice I realized my original answers were incorrect. Thank you for the great question.

Dana,

I'm curious about the "I almost fell prey to the wording of the question" - what was there in this question that got you feeling this way? (I'm trying to get better at writing these QotD's).

Wayne

sestell1
sestell1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

Nice question!
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSCoach
SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)

WayneS (8/14/2012)
One of the things that I'm trying to learn is to write better QotD questions. It looks like most that have responded here about missing it have acknowledged not reading the question carefully. So, how could this question have been written better?

(The only thing that I can think of is to have bolded the "as a true / 1 value".)

Hi Wayne,

I see nothing wrong with this question. As long as you take the time to read the entire question, I fail to see how one could misunderstand it.
Maybe people who misread the question were only flying over the text and making assumptions on what the question is?

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.