SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

DATETIME 2

DATETIME 2

Author
Tom Thomson
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Nice question.

But 23:59:59.9999999 is rather easy to round to 100 microseconds, isn't it. So I'm surprised so many have it wrong.

Tom

(Bob Brown)
(Bob Brown)
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Excellent question. I honestly had to run the code to get the correct answer but got a lesson on datetime2.
bitbucket-25253
bitbucket-25253
SSCoach
SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)SSCoach (15K reputation)

I am rather surprised at the low percentage of correct answers.

Correct answers: 37% (76)
Incorrect answers: 63% (129)
Total attempts: 205

And the implications this could have to those designing a DB, and inadvertently or deliberately using different definitions for a date time object in different tables (based only on each individual table's requirements) and then, when selecting, wondering why Select statements using a join / case / where on a date column do not return the correct data.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
mtassin
mtassin
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.3K reputation)

Thanks for making me think... I had to sit there and keep reminding myself how the datetime2 values would round and then tried to keep two mental counts (statement 1 and statement 2) in my head as I did the rounding...

Smile glad I got it right, and glad I didn't have to use more than the fingers on one hand for each count Smile

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Luis Cazares
Luis Cazares
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)SSC-Forever (42K reputation)

I'm really proud of me because instead of running the query, I went to SQL help to find out what where the 4 and 7 in the datetime2 declaration.
I've learned something new in the correct way: putting attention, investigating, thinking and, only then, answering.;-)

Luis C.
General Disclaimer:
Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
sestell1
sestell1
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.6K reputation)

Nice question!
patrickmcginnis59
patrickmcginnis59
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

bitbucket-25253 (8/2/2012)

And the implications this could have to those designing a DB, and inadvertently or deliberately using different definitions for a date time object in different tables (based only on each individual table's requirements) and then, when selecting, wondering why Select statements using a join / case / where on a date column do not return the correct data.

Speaking for myself, I'm relatively untroubled by missing questions like this. I always answer them based on what I know at the moment of answering, without testing in SSMS or googling. On the other hand, if I were using similar code in a project, I would actually test and research the situation. I doubt I'm the only one answering like that.
roryp 96873
roryp 96873
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

patrickmcginnis59 (8/2/2012)

Speaking for myself, I'm relatively untroubled by missing questions like this. I always answer them based on what I know at the moment of answering, without testing in SSMS or googling. On the other hand, if I were using similar code in a project, I would actually test and research the situation. I doubt I'm the only one answering like that.

But, but, but... the points you're missing out on... :-P
Tock
Tock
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

A most excellent question for content AND presentation.

+1

Cheers,

Steve
bkmsmith
bkmsmith
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

patrickmcginnis59 (8/2/2012)

+1

Patrick, you are not the only one answering the QOTD this way. I also missed this one today.

Thanks for the question Bitbucket, and the reinforcement of the nuances of DateTime comparison.

-------------
Brian Smith
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.