SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Modifying Column Size

Modifying Column Size

Author
gbloom-998285
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I have a 22gb database with a column called [var]. I need to change this column from decimal(12,5) to decimal(22,7). The database must stay on-line and is collecting data 24/7. My overall free hard drive space is less than 20gb.

Looking for some help!
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)

Which part do you need help with?

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Jayanth_Kurup
Jayanth_Kurup
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)

the table will be locked while the conversion occurs. How big the the table ?

Jayanth Kurup
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)

Do you have a test environment to test the changes first with a table of the same size?

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

gbloom-998285
gbloom-998285
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)SSC Rookie (35 reputation)

15.7 gb
gbloom-998285
gbloom-998285
SSC Rookie

Yes I have a dev box that I can test on.
gbloom-998285
gbloom-998285
SSC Rookie

I need help with making the field change without doubling/tripling the size of the table to make the change. I have tried the alter table/ alter column and I ran out of disk space. So the real issue here is to be able to make the field size change when the database table is about the same size as my free space on the drive.
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru

What is the tsql you used to make the change? Are you dumping the table into a temp table and then renaming that temp table and replacing the actual table or are you doing something like the following?

Given a table such as this

CREATE TABLE dbo.Employee
(
EmployeeID INT IDENTITY (1,1) NOT NULL
,FirstName VARCHAR(50) NULL
,MiddleName VARCHAR(50) NULL
,LastName VARCHAR(50) NULL
,DateHired datetime NOT NULL
)

Use this to increase the size of the FirstName filed to 100 characters.

ALTER TABLE dbo.Employee
ALTER COLUMN FirstName VARCHAR(100)

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

gbloom-998285
gbloom-998285
SSC Rookie

This is the exact code that I tried. The disk space started out at 20gb free and when it got down to 2gb free, I cancelled the job.
Jayanth_Kurup
Jayanth_Kurup
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.5K reputation)

I wud suggest adding a new column and moving the data in batches then. Once done u can simply rename the old column or drop it.

Jayanth Kurup
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.