SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

The DBA Tax

The DBA Tax

Author
Rod
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (713 reputation)Say Hey Kid (713 reputation)Say Hey Kid (713 reputation)Say Hey Kid (713 reputation)Say Hey Kid (713 reputation)Say Hey Kid (713 reputation)Say Hey Kid (713 reputation)Say Hey Kid (713 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
djackson 22568 (7/9/2012)
Steve,

I agree with the point that I believe you were intending to make. No arguments whatsoever.

However, a lot of people are worried about losing their jobs, and the reasons are similar enough that I expect to see some contrarian positions here. For example, a lot of highly educated people end up losing their jobs as part of cost cutting measures, only to be replaced by less costly, younger workers. The H1B visa is an atrocious attack on American high tech workers, sold to the public as a way to fill jobs "nobody wants" and "nobody is qualified for", and has been shown to be causing a decline in college students pursuing tech.

Am I afraid of technology replacing me? Not at all.

Do I understand why a lot of people are worried about thier jobs, oh yeah. Those who do may or may not benefit from improving themselves. It is possible to improve oneself out of a job as the cost to employ is raised.

Dave

WOW, very good points, Dave.

Rod
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Jeff Moden (7/8/2012)
Excellent editorial, Steve! I wish I could give it a hundred stars because it really hits the nail on the head. There're too many people that spend way too much time doing the "Chicken Little" thing.

Thanks and glad you like it.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)SSC Guru (65K reputation)

I agree with the point that I believe you were intending to make. No arguments whatsoever.

Good points, and I won't argue with you on this. There are any number of managers who do think the DBA is a tax and shouldn't be paid. They are happy to get by with less. Nothing to be done there, except to prove you're an asset, not an expense.

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru

Doctor Who 2 (7/9/2012)

Bottom line: if the agency is small enough, they don't want a DBA. They're not willing to pay that "DBA tax". They'll make anyone who has any IT experience be the developer, administrator, PC tech, help desk, network engineer and of course DBA.

I'm not sure you're getting the same point I wanted to make. It isn't that you need a DBA, or that a DBA is a tax. It's that the DBA is often seen as a tax for a system, not providing value, but just cost. That could apply to any position.

The idea is that you want to prove you have value to the company, whatever your position. Make sure they see you as valuable, or I would advise you move on.

Side note: I wouldn't make my life/career decisions based on the impact to other employees. You can talk with them, but if you don't like the work, move on. Life is short, way too short to stick around if you don't have to in a position that doesn't work for you.

djackson 22568
djackson 22568
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/9/2012)

Good points, and I won't argue with you on this. There are any number of managers who do think the DBA is a tax and shouldn't be paid. They are happy to get by with less. Nothing to be done there, except to prove you're an asset, not an expense.

Agreed. The goal is to show you save more then you cost. Not always easy to do, but each year I seem to stumble across some way to save actual expenses that exceed what I get paid, not including what I actually "produce" each year as an Analyst and DBA.

One of my favorite examples is when we had to replace all of our time clocks, and I negotiated a price that saved us about 80% of my salary. Pretty easy to show your value that way!

Showing your value as a programmer, a DBA or other technical roles isn't as easy, because we don't normally have those kinds of opportunities for clear savings. How does one assign a value to backups, integrity checks, reindexing - unless something goes wrong first!

Dave

Dave
TravisDBA
TravisDBA
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)

The idea is that you want to prove you have value to the company, whatever your position. Make sure they see you as valuable, or I would advise you move on.

I totally agree. I once had a IT Director say in a very large meeting "I'm not sure what our DBA's do here." I could not let that go, and I immediately replied, but respectively. "Well sir, if you attended our Change Control meetings every week you would definitely find out. You get the invitation in Outlook every week.." The moral of the story is don't say things about the DBA's if you don't know or care what they do for you.:-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"
jfogel
jfogel
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (659 reputation)SSChasing Mays (659 reputation)SSChasing Mays (659 reputation)SSChasing Mays (659 reputation)SSChasing Mays (659 reputation)SSChasing Mays (659 reputation)SSChasing Mays (659 reputation)SSChasing Mays (659 reputation)

If your employer doesn't know what you do and why they pay you then you have already lost the battle. Get out while the getting is good.

Cheers
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (33K reputation)

jfogel (7/9/2012)
If your employer doesn't know what you do and why they pay you then you have already lost the battle. Get out while the getting is good.

It's also time to educate that employer on what you do.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)SSC Guru (89K reputation)

TravisDBA (7/9/2012)

I totally agree. I once had a IT Director say in a very large meeting "I'm not sure what our DBA's do here." I could not let that go, and I immediately replied, but respectively. "Well sir, if you attended our Change Control meetings every week you would definitely find out. You get the invitation in Outlook every week.." The moral of the story is don't say things about the DBA's if you don't know or care what they do for you.:-D

Be careful what you ask for. You could end up writing a weekly report, instead.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Eric M Russell
Eric M Russell
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

TravisDBA (7/9/2012)

You need to take two or three weeks off from work, and then your IT Director will know exactly what it is you do.

"The universe is complicated and for the most part beyond your control, but your life is only as complicated as you choose it to be."
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.