Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Cumulative Update #7 fails

Cumulative Update #7 fails

Author
Mike Hinds
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I've downloaded CU7 for SQL 2008R2 SP1, KB 2703282, and attempted to install it on test instances.

Only one was successful, out of seven or eight. All are SQL 2008R2, SP1, and are 64-bit Intel. All are virtual machines (VMs). Several were two-node failover clusters, and the rest are single-node instances.

The install wizard completes with Status "Failed" and a red "X" in the Update Progress pane.

The Summary...txt tells me to "review the log files", and provides the path to the detail log.

The fatal error appears to be the following:
---
2012-07-03 09:00:26 Slp: Microsoft.SqlServer.Setup.Chainer.Workflow.ActionExecutionException: File c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn\DllTmp64\sqlagentctr100.dll could not be copied to file path C:\Windows\system32\perf-MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER-sqlagtctr.dll. ---> Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.ScoExtension.CopyFileException: File c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Binn\DllTmp64\sqlagentctr100.dll could not be copied to file path C:\Windows\system32\perf-MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER-sqlagtctr.dll. ---> Microsoft.SqlServer.Configuration.Sco.ScoException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Windows\system32\perf-MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER-sqlagtctr.dll' because it is being used by another process. ---> System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Windows\system32\perf-MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER-sqlagtctr.dll' because it is being used by another process.
---

After the "failure", when SQL is restarted (or failed back in the case of a cluster), SELECT@@VERSION and Object Explorer show the new patch level - 10.50.2817.

Has anyone else had this experience? Does anyone know of or could suggest a workaround?

Mike Hinds
Senior Database Administrator
1st Source Bank
MCP, MCTS
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
I found this: http://shaunjstuart.com/archive/2010/06/failure-when-upgrading-cluster-to-sql-2008-sp1-cu7/

Similar issue?

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Mike Hinds
Mike Hinds
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)SSC Eights! (808 reputation)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (7/3/2012)
I found this: http://shaunjstuart.com/archive/2010/06/failure-when-upgrading-cluster-to-sql-2008-sp1-cu7/

Similar issue?

Interesting one, but his explanation is specific to clusters. Mine has come up with the same error on clusters and single-node instances alike.

Mike Hinds
1st Source Bank
MCP, MCTS
Robert klimes
Robert klimes
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

if you haven't found an answer yet may this will work.(http://blogs.msdn.com/b/karthick_pk/archive/2012/07/16/the-process-cannot-access-the-file-c-windows-system32-perf-mssql10-50-mssqlserver-sqlagtctr-dll-because-it-is-being-used-by-another-process.aspx)

I have had the same issues with CU2 for SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2. Haven't test the fix yet but will port when I do.

--edit
renaming the file specified in the details.txt file then running the CU installer again worked. CU installation completed successfully.

Bob
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to post to get the best help
Mike Hinds
Mike Hinds
SSC Eights!

Robert klimes (9/11/2012)
if you haven't found an answer yet may this will work.(http://blogs.msdn.com/b/karthick_pk/archive/2012/07/16/the-process-cannot-access-the-file-c-windows-system32-perf-mssql10-50-mssqlserver-sqlagtctr-dll-because-it-is-being-used-by-another-process.aspx)

I have had the same issues with CU2 for SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2. Haven't test the fix yet but will port when I do.

--edit
renaming the file specified in the details.txt file then running the CU installer again worked. CU installation completed successfully.

Interesting. I hope this is the fix we need. I'll definitely try it out.
Also, thanks for informing about SP2 CU2 (KB2740411, 08/31/2012), which I looked for but could not find when I started patching last week.

Mike Hinds
1st Source Bank
MCP, MCTS
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.