SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

NULLIF 1

NULLIF 1

Author
Daniel Fountain
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (969 reputation)SSC Eights! (969 reputation)SSC Eights! (969 reputation)SSC Eights! (969 reputation)SSC Eights! (969 reputation)SSC Eights! (969 reputation)SSC Eights! (969 reputation)SSC Eights! (969 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I was confused due to the lack of the correct number of columns.
Michael Riemer
Michael Riemer
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)

A great topic to test knowledge, but I think it kind of gets lost within the context of the question! Hehe

What is the point of the tricks in the question (result at the start, and four columns in the select, with three in the answer) when trying to test a certain functionality, along with having the column X in the mix?
paul.knibbs
paul.knibbs
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)SSCrazy (2.6K reputation)

I'd agree with Michael--this question seemed to be unnecessarily obfuscated and was more about reading comprehension than anything SQL related, IMHO.
chriscoates
chriscoates
Old Hand
Old Hand (318 reputation)Old Hand (318 reputation)Old Hand (318 reputation)Old Hand (318 reputation)Old Hand (318 reputation)Old Hand (318 reputation)Old Hand (318 reputation)Old Hand (318 reputation)

I've been caught out on the QotD before by not reading the question properly, but I agree that the SQL being different to the actual quesiton seemed a little overly confusing.

However, as there's 4 records in the table, regardless of knowledge of the NULLIF function surely the output was always going to be all 4 options?

Perhaps to test knowledge of NULLIF, the question might have been better to include NULLIF as a where clause, something like:

select
id,
nullif(y,0) as 'test 1',
nullif(y,9) as 'test 2'
from
#whatif
where
nullif(y,0) is null
or nullif(y,9) is null

and then have the same 4 answers with a "Check all that apply" option?
JoseACJr
JoseACJr
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (604 reputation)SSChasing Mays (604 reputation)SSChasing Mays (604 reputation)SSChasing Mays (604 reputation)SSChasing Mays (604 reputation)SSChasing Mays (604 reputation)SSChasing Mays (604 reputation)SSChasing Mays (604 reputation)

Koen Verbeeck (6/25/2012)
Haven't used NULLIF before, so I learned something.

Small error: the select statement selects 4 columns, the answers have only 3.

;-)
Thomas Abraham
Thomas Abraham
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)SSCrazy (2.8K reputation)

Thanks for the question. Never used NULLIF, so forced me to investigate.

I got my point, but am inclined to agree with those that feel that the question could have been presented in a bit more straightforward manner, and still have achieved the same end.

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
Connect to me on LinkedIn
Mike Is Here
Mike Is Here
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)SSCommitted (1.5K reputation)

I have to agree with every one else. The select statement is confusing.

First you start off with the declaration

"What values are returned for Test 1 and Test 2? " which is invalid because there are 3 columns.

Then "The values are listed as ID, TEST1, TEST2. For example: "

Then a four column select. What was the point of making a four column select, just make it line up with the answer.
Jack Corbett
  Jack Corbett
SSCoach
SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)SSCoach (18K reputation)

Having a different number of columns in the query vs. the answers is wrong. In no case would the query supplied have a 2nd column return NULL. I know how NULLIF works and have used it. IN my opinion this is one of the worst QotD's I've seen.

Jack Corbett

Applications Developer

Don't let the good be the enemy of the best. -- Paul Fleming
At best you can say that one job may be more secure than another, but total job security is an illusion. -- Rod at work

Check out these links on how to get faster and more accurate answers:
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
Need an Answer? Actually, No ... You Need a Question
How to Post Performance Problems
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 1
Crosstabs and Pivots or How to turn rows into columns Part 2
radhamee
radhamee
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)SSC Rookie (28 reputation)

I agree with Imrann. Today's question is badly framed and confusing....

but, thanks to the question, I learnt the use of NullIf
Carlo Romagnano
Carlo Romagnano
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)SSCertifiable (5K reputation)

By the way:
I often use NULLIF when 3rd party application use MAGIC VALUES instead of NULL.
e.g. 1799-12-31 stands for NULL DATETIME.
Here's a generic example to get an actual price:
SELECT cArticle,mPrice FROM tbPrices
WHERE GETDATE() BETWEEN dtStart AND ISNULL(NULLIF(dtEnd,'1799-12-31'),GETDATE())

I run on tuttopodismo
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.