Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Stairway to SQL PowerShell Level 2: SQL PowerShell Setup and Config

Stairway to SQL PowerShell Level 2: SQL PowerShell Setup and Config

Author
dbaduck
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Stairway to SQL PowerShell Level 2: SQL PowerShell Setup and Config

Ben Miller
Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, SQL MVP
@DBAduck - http://dbaduck.com
david.bianco
david.bianco
SSC-Addicted
SSC-Addicted (426 reputation)SSC-Addicted (426 reputation)SSC-Addicted (426 reputation)SSC-Addicted (426 reputation)SSC-Addicted (426 reputation)SSC-Addicted (426 reputation)SSC-Addicted (426 reputation)SSC-Addicted (426 reputation)

Very informative articles. Thank you for sharing!

There is a minor error that threw me for a bit of a loop. In listing 2.3, you mention the code to load the Extended SMO assembly is:

[System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName("Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo.Extended")

This did not work for me. I read a bit further, and noticed in Listing 2.4, the code is this:

[System.Reflection.Assembly]::LoadWithPartialName(“Microsoft.SqlServer.SmoExtended”)

Listing 2.3 has an extra period between "Smo" and "Extended". Removing it allowed me to get the desired output.
dbaduck
dbaduck
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (195 reputation)

Thanks. I will submit a change.

Ben Miller
sperry-750868
sperry-750868
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (189 reputation)

Great set of articles. I am really enjoying working through them.

Is it just me or are these articles from the future?!?!? Level 2 is dated the 15th Aug 2012 and Level 3 is dated the 29th!
brendan woulfe
brendan woulfe
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (242 reputation)SSC Veteran (242 reputation)SSC Veteran (242 reputation)SSC Veteran (242 reputation)SSC Veteran (242 reputation)SSC Veteran (242 reputation)SSC Veteran (242 reputation)SSC Veteran (242 reputation)

Someone got their hands on a delorean.
dbaduck
dbaduck
SSC-Enthusiastic

I think it just means that I am a really good author :-)

Ben Miller
abacrotto
abacrotto
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)

Hello guys!!! The article is very good. I have little to no understanding on the subject of PowerShell. I would like begining to learn the ropes. However, I can not find the PowerShell folder in my Programs Menu. I have Windows XP SP3 installed, and I am running with a non-administrator user. Can you help me in any way ?

Thanks in advance.
Regards.
Ariel.
dbaduck
dbaduck
SSC-Enthusiastic

Ariel, if you go to the previous Level in this stairway you will see where you can get PowerShell for WinXP SP3. In the table there it shows that there is no native PowerShell in WinXP, so use the link in the Level 1 to go and get it and install it.

Then you can go to the Level 2 and start to play.

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Stairway+Series/90381/

Ben Miller
abacrotto
abacrotto
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)

I read the Level 1 part, and I understood that PowerShell does not install nativelly in Windows XP. But my Windows XP box has Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 installed. For it to be installed one of the requirements is PowerShell 2.0, so I had to install it first. Could it be that the installer does not put a shortcut to the program in the Menu Folder ? Am I missing something else ?

Thanks for the very fast answer.
Regards.
Ariel.
Michael Meierruth
Michael Meierruth
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (718 reputation)Right there with Babe (718 reputation)Right there with Babe (718 reputation)Right there with Babe (718 reputation)Right there with Babe (718 reputation)Right there with Babe (718 reputation)Right there with Babe (718 reputation)Right there with Babe (718 reputation)

Ariel,
It's under Start/All Programs/Accessories/Windows PowerShell
I have SS2008 Express and don't seem to recall that PS 2.0 was needed for the installation.
I installed PS 2.0 using the download shown in the Level 1 article.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.