SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

The Redmond Agenda

The Redmond Agenda

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)SSC Guru (63K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Redmond Agenda

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
IceDread
IceDread
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (523 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (523 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (523 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (523 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (523 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (523 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (523 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (523 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
It talks about five things Redmond doesn't want you to know, and the first item is that the cloud is first. New releases of products will likely come in the cloud first, and in a version you can buy second. The article mentions Sharepoint, but many other Microsoft products live in the cloud, including SQL Server.
Is that a bad thing?

Depends on what new features / functionality that is included I would say. If it's something you really want then it can be annoying.
I however fear that support for non cloud based solutions will become worse because of the cloud focus. Hopefully this fear is not warranted.
chrisfradenburg
chrisfradenburg
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

This could actually make RTM releases more solid. With the cloud users working out a number of the bugs we may see less patching necessary on boxes we host.
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (32K reputation)

cfradenburg (6/20/2012)
This could actually make RTM releases more solid. With the cloud users working out a number of the bugs we may see less patching necessary on boxes we host.

That would be a great thing if it happened that way.

There are some things that work well in the cloud and I still hold my reservations about moving to the cloud.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

jeff.mason
jeff.mason
UDP Broadcaster
UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)UDP Broadcaster (1.5K reputation)

I still have seen nothing to convince me that regulatory requirements like HIPAA, SOX, FDA validation, et al can be safely supported in an external cloud. Internal, maybe, but how can a DBA guarantee data protection at that level when someone else owns and maintains the servers?
Lynn Pettis
Lynn Pettis
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (39K reputation)

jeff.mason (6/22/2012)
I still have seen nothing to convince me that regulatory requirements like HIPAA, SOX, FDA validation, et al can be safely supported in an external cloud. Internal, maybe, but how can a DBA guarantee data protection at that level when someone else owns and maintains the servers?

The third party vendor has to support those same regulatory requirements. If they aren't cretified under the necessary authorities, you don't use them.

Cool
Lynn Pettis

For better assistance in answering your questions, click here
For tips to get better help with Performance Problems, click here
For Running Totals and its variations, click here or when working with partitioned tables
For more about Tally Tables, click here
For more about Cross Tabs and Pivots, click here and here
Managing Transaction Logs

SQL Musings from the Desert Fountain Valley SQL (My Mirror Blog)
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.