SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Transactions 4

Transactions 4

Author
bitbucket-25253
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.8K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Transactions 4

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read

Before posting a performance problem please read
M&M
M&M
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.5K reputation)

Thanks for the question. I am glad I got it right :-)

Have a happy weekend.

M&M
paul.knibbs
paul.knibbs
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)SSCrazy (2.5K reputation)

Looking at the answers, I guess a lot of people think IGNORE_DUP_KEY means it'll allow duplicates to be inserted--which, to be fair, actually makes sense from a strict English point of view!
Igor Micev
Igor Micev
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)

paul.knibbs (6/8/2012)
Looking at the answers, I guess a lot of people think IGNORE_DUP_KEY means it'll allow duplicates to be inserted--which, to be fair, actually makes sense from a strict English point of view!

Nice question!
Yes, I agree. That option makes commands violating the constraint skipped.

Regards
IgorMi

Igor Micev,
SQL Server developer at Seavus
My blog: www.igormicev.com
Nils Gustav Stråbø
Nils Gustav Stråbø
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

Thanks for the question.

The result of the final SELECT statement would have been the same even if you had dropped the IGNORE_DUP_KEY=ON. The only difference is that it would have raised an error (Cannot insert duplicate key row...), but that wouldn't have aborted the transaction since XACT_ABORT is OFF (by default).

So in my opinion the explanation is a little bit wrong. It is not the IGNORE_DUP_KEY that causes three rows to be returned, but the fact that a run time error does not cause the transaction (some do, but not a duplicate key error) to rollback as long as XACT_ABORT is OFF.

Reference:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188792.aspx
When SET XACT_ABORT is OFF, in some cases only the Transact-SQL statement that raised the error is rolled back and the transaction continues processing. Depending upon the severity of the error, the entire transaction may be rolled back even when SET XACT_ABORT is OFF. OFF is the default setting.

Mighty
Mighty
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)

I would like to point out the fact that the select statement would have returned the same results, even if the WITH (IGNORE_DUP_KEY = ON) would not have been specified with the creation of the index.

This is correctly described in the explanation, but some people might overlook the fact, that in this case, only the third INSERT statement fails but not is being rolled back, so not everything in between the BEGIN TRANSACTION...COMMIT TRANSACTION.
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.8K reputation)

Interesting question, Ron. thanks
Have never used the IGNORE_DUP_KEY option before, so learned something new.

John Mitchell-245523
John Mitchell-245523
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

I got this right, but I'm still a little confused. Am I correct in thinking that what is being tested here is knowledge of the IGNORE_DUP_KEY setting and not anything to do with transactions? Since IGNORE_DUP_KEY means that there is no error, it doesn't matter whether the statements are wrapped in a transaction or not. Furthermore, as we saw in previous questions in this series, the transaction would commit regardless of a unique key violation, unless XACT_ABORT is set to OFF, which is not the default.

John

Edit: didn't mean to parrot what was written in the previous few posts - they weren't there when I started writing this one!
Igor Micev
Igor Micev
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.9K reputation)

Nils Gustav Stråbø (6/8/2012)
Thanks for the question.

The result of the final SELECT statement would have been the same even if you had dropped the IGNORE_DUP_KEY=ON. The only difference is that it would have raised an error (Cannot insert duplicate key row...), but that wouldn't have aborted the transaction since XACT_ABORT is OFF (by default).

So in my opinion the explanation is a little bit wrong. It is not the IGNORE_DUP_KEY that causes three rows to be returned, but the fact that a run time error does not cause the transaction (some do, but not a duplicate key error) to rollback as long as XACT_ABORT is OFF.

Reference:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms188792.aspx
When SET XACT_ABORT is OFF, in some cases only the Transact-SQL statement that raised the error is rolled back and the transaction continues processing. Depending upon the severity of the error, the entire transaction may be rolled back even when SET XACT_ABORT is OFF. OFF is the default setting.

I don't agree with you.
Ensured with a direct try.

You can execute the following code and ensure yourself that the IGNORE_DUP_KEY = ON has done its effect.

create table qotd5
(
col1 int,
col2 char(1) not null,
col3 varchar(20))

set xact_abort on
Begin transaction
insert into qotd5(col1,col2,col3) values(1,'w','some')
insert into qotd5(col1,col2,col3) values(2,'y','or that')
insert into qotd5(col1,col2,col3) values(1,'x','thing')
insert into qotd5(col1,col2,col3) values(3,'z','or what')
Commit transaction
select col2 from qotd5 order by col2

Regards
IgorMi

Igor Micev,
SQL Server developer at Seavus
My blog: www.igormicev.com
John Mitchell-245523
John Mitchell-245523
SSChampion
SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)SSChampion (14K reputation)

IgorMi (6/8/2012)

I don't agree with you.
Ensured with a direct try.

You can execute the following code and ensure yourself that the IGNORE_DUP_KEY = ON has done its effect.

create table qotd5
(
col1 int,
col2 char(1) not null,
col3 varchar(20))

set xact_abort on
Begin transaction
insert into qotd5(col1,col2,col3) values(1,'w','some')
insert into qotd5(col1,col2,col3) values(2,'y','or that')
insert into qotd5(col1,col2,col3) values(1,'x','thing')
insert into qotd5(col1,col2,col3) values(3,'z','or what')
Commit transaction
select col2 from qotd5 order by col2

Regards
IgorMi

Yes, but XACT_ABORT is not ON by default. Since it wasn't explicitly set in the question, we have to assume it's OFF.

John
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.