SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Generating n-Tuples with SQL

Generating n-Tuples with SQL

Author
dwain.c
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Generating n-Tuples with SQL

My mantra: No loops! No CURSORs! No RBAR! Hoo-uh!

My thought question: Have you ever been told that your query runs too fast?

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Need to UNPIVOT? Why not CROSS APPLY VALUES instead?
Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
Learn to understand recursive CTEs by example.
Splitting strings based on patterns can be fast!
My temporal SQL musings: Calendar Tables, an Easter SQL, Time Slots and Self-maintaining, Contiguous Effective Dates in Temporal Tables
Paul White
Paul White
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)

Craig Freedman has a couple of great posts covering how recursive CTEs work:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/craigfr/archive/2007/10/25/recursive-ctes.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/craigfr/archive/2007/11/07/recursive-ctes-continued.aspx

Paul White
SQLPerformance.com
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
dwain.c
dwain.c
SSCoach
SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)SSCoach (17K reputation)

Thanks. I'm always looking to expand my knowledge in this area.

BTW. Someone recently linked me to (I believe it was) your article on the recursive CTE version of a really fast DISTINCT. Great job there!

My advice:
INDEXing a poor-performing query is like putting sugar on cat food. Yeah, it probably tastes better but are you sure you want to eat it?
The path of least resistance can be a slippery slope. Take care that fixing your fixes of fixes doesn't snowball and end up costing you more than fixing the root cause would have in the first place.

Since random numbers are too important to be left to chance, let's generate some!
My temporal SQL musings: Calendar Tables, an Easter SQL, Time Slots and Self-maintaining, Contiguous Effective Dates in Temporal Tables
Paul White
Paul White
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)

dwain.c (5/16/2012)
BTW. Someone recently linked me to (I believe it was) your article on the recursive CTE version of a really fast DISTINCT. Great job there!

Thank you (though it was just a forum post rather than an article).

Paul White
SQLPerformance.com
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
dwain.c
dwain.c
SSCoach

SQL Kiwi (5/16/2012)
dwain.c (5/16/2012)

Thank you (though it was just a forum post rather than an article).

Clearly with that kind of impressive performance gain, it should have been an article!

My advice:

chris.stuart
chris.stuart
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

I always enjoy reading the articles, but this one got me a bit stumped. Where would you actually use this?Unsure
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)

I do wish folks would do a comparison against the equivalent While Loops to see just how bad recursion can actually be for reads and CPU.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Paul White
Paul White
SSC-Dedicated

Jeff Moden (5/17/2012)

I do wish folks would do a comparison against the equivalent While Loops to see just how bad recursion can actually be for reads and CPU.

I must confess I am a little unsure how your comment relates to the post you quoted. Dwain expressed an interest (at the end of the article) in finding out more about how recursive CTEs work ("Now if I can only figure out how these pesky recursive CTEs really work, then I could post something really interesting!") so I pointed him to the best reference I know of.

Paul White
SQLPerformance.com
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)

Sorry... the way my comment relates to the articles you cited and to Dwaine's article is that, while recursion is a mathematically sound way of expressing a problem, none of them explain that the use of recursive CTEs is usually not a good way to solve the problem either performance wise or resource usage wise simply because of the way SQL Server does the recursion. I'd like to see folks start to take a little responsibility in that area by doing a resource usage and performance comparison between the rCTE's and the equivalent While Loops.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Paul White
Paul White
SSC-Dedicated

Jeff Moden (5/17/2012)
Sorry... the way my comment relates to the articles you cited and to Dwaine's article is that, while recursion is a mathematically sound way of expressing a problem, none of them explain that the use of recursive CTEs is usually not a good way to solve the problem either performance wise or resource usage wise simply because of the way SQL Server does the recursion. I'd like to see folks start to take a little responsibility in that area by doing a resource usage and performance comparison between the rCTE's and the equivalent While Loops.

It still seems that your issues are more with the author (and Craig Freedman) rather than me. I'm not sure if a more efficient WHILE-based solution is possible here; I was simply responding to the request for more details about how recursive CTEs actually work. Perhaps Dwain will respond to explain why a comparison with WHILE was not done.

For what it's worth, I have never had to produce the sort of result shown in the article, but if I did, I might try to find a bit-position T-SQL solution, or perhaps write a solution in a language more suited to high-performance iteration (one of the CLR ones).

Paul White
SQLPerformance.com
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.