SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Smelly Power

Smelly Power

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Smelly Power

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
paul.knibbs
paul.knibbs
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.8K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
What they need to be doing to make a data centre *really* green is to use the waste heat for something, rather than just venting it to atmosphere. 15MW of waste heat would heat a small town! I don't know if anybody is actually doing this as yet, but would be cool if they are. (Or should that be hot if they are? :-P).
jbnv
jbnv
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)SSC Veteran (263 reputation)

Excellent point. Perhaps someone could start by harnessing that heat to make the staff's coffee.

Jay Bienvenu | http://bienv.com | http://twitter.com/jbnv
Steph Locke
Steph Locke
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)SSC Eights! (805 reputation)

Waste to Energy power is a great technology, and the conception that the process is smelly is inaccurate. Obviously the input tends to be smelly but so long as the stuff is stored correctly before incineration then there is 0 smell.

The heat produced by incinerators is typically used for heating nearby areas, in particular hospitals, who are quite comfortable with incinerators since most hospitals have them for disposing of medical waste.

I'm not sure if the heat off a data centre could be used similarly, however, you could pump the heat into water (like some solar panels) and use the hot(ish) water in the building.
stevemc
stevemc
Old Hand
Old Hand (306 reputation)Old Hand (306 reputation)Old Hand (306 reputation)Old Hand (306 reputation)Old Hand (306 reputation)Old Hand (306 reputation)Old Hand (306 reputation)Old Hand (306 reputation)

I once worked briefly at the Trojan nuclear power plant in Oregon; no issues with power there. The office was in the shadow if the cooling tower. That was spooky.

http://columbiariverimages.com/Regions/Places/trojan_nuclear.html
Revenant
Revenant
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

paul.knibbs (4/24/2012)
What they need to be doing to make a data centre *really* green is to use the waste heat for something, rather than just venting it to atmosphere. 15MW of waste heat would heat a small town! I don't know if anybody is actually doing this as yet, but would be cool if they are. (Or should that be hot if they are? :-P).

If we are talking about Microsoft, yes they are.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)SSC Guru (222K reputation)

Group: Administrators
stevemc (4/24/2012)
I once worked briefly at the Trojan nuclear power plant in Oregon; no issues with power there. The office was in the shadow if the cooling tower. That was spooky.

Cool. I worked at Surry and North Anna in Virginia. Cooling towers were far away, but going into the secure area always created a little anxiety for me.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Revenant
Revenant
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/24/2012)
stevemc (4/24/2012)

Cool. I worked at Surry and North Anna in Virginia. Cooling towers were far away, but going into the secure area always created a little anxiety for me.

Hey, why? We all die only once, right? ;-)
Michael Valentine Jones
Michael Valentine Jones
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)

I would think that venting the waste heat into a cluster of greenhouses would make a lot of sense. Grow expensive flowers or vegetables in places where they would not normally grow, especially during the winter.

Also would be good PR: "Look we're green! See all the greenhouses!"
Revenant
Revenant
SSCoach

Michael Valentine Jones (4/24/2012)
I would think that venting the waste heat into a cluster of greenhouses would make a lot of sense. Grow expensive flowers or vegetables in places where they would not normally grow, especially during the winter.

Also would be good PR: "Look we're green! See all the greenhouses!"

Exactly. I am under an NDA. but if you will, Bing or Google 'Azure Finland'.

And you may look for hints at heating of the houses of the employees in that inhospitable part of Europe.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.