Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Review: Log PI

Review: Log PI

Author
Michael LeVere
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (127 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (127 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (127 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (127 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (127 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (127 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (127 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (127 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members

I have to also put in my two cents worth on LogPI. I also found that it was not intuitive in the installation. Also there is a lack of adiquate documentation, especially for the install.

We backup our transaction logs every hour on 99% of our databases to seperate logs. Some of those transaction log backups can get to be 1 to 2 Gb in size. Also a lot of our current transaction files can get up to 14gb in size. When I try and do a log analysis on a database that has only a 30Mb log, it take about 3 to 4 minutes to come back with any results. Multiply that by at least 10 for a 1 Gb file and it would take 2 hours. That is if it would even return anything. I usually get a timeout error, a big message box and then the application would shutdown. Not what I would call stable.

Even if it did return anything, that is just way to long for it to return anything. It would be cost prohibitive and I could have done a restore of the database off our main tape drives, restored the database and gotten any records back in that time.

Also, I have been in the Log analysis window and then wanted to quit the current analysis and go to a different database to do another one and it will die on me doing that as well.

Paying this much money for a 50 server license, I expected a better performing application than this. I do have the latest version of the application (2.2.1816) and have been in contact with tech support. They even offered for us to be a BETA test site. I thought this was supposed to be a completed application.

Can anyone tell me if I am doing something wrong or this application is really this buggy?

Thanks,

Michael LeVere

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.