Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Transaction isolation

Transaction isolation

Author
aries27_himani
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Transaction isolation
M&M
M&M
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.3K reputation)

Thanks for easy question.

M&M
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

Easy one, thanks.
For the moment, almost 30% took Read Commited (the default). Surprising, as Repeatable Read is stricter.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)One Orange Chip (27K reputation)

There needs to be more questions on isolation levels.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)SSC-Insane (24K reputation)

SQLRNNR (4/19/2012)

Looking at the current score, certainly. 32% for Read Committed.
If Snapshot Isolation was one of the answers, I would understand a lot of people getting it wrong, but this isn't the case.

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
Stewart "Arturius" Campbell
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.7K reputation)

Agree, need more questions on this topic.
Thanks for the easy question.

Carlo Romagnano
Carlo Romagnano
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.3K reputation)

Good question!

I run on tuttopodismo
TomThomson
TomThomson
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

Nice easy question.

Koen Verbeeck (4/19/2012)
SQLRNNR (4/19/2012)

Looking at the current score, certainly. 32% for Read Committed.
If Snapshot Isolation was one of the answers, I would understand a lot of people getting it wrong, but this isn't the case.

Yes, some education is needed in this area. The results aren't quite as bad now as when Koen saw them, but currently 27% opted for for READ COMMITTED (the second lowest isoaltion level) which is certainly not good. And the thing that really gets me is 2% saying Read Uncommitted!

Tom

honza.mf
honza.mf
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

L' Eomot Inversé (4/19/2012)

Yes, some education is needed in this area. The results aren't quite as bad now as when Koen saw them, but currently 27% opted for for READ COMMITTED (the second lowest isoaltion level) which is certainly not good. And the thing that really gets me is 2% saying Read Uncommitted!

I understand someone who selected Read Uncommited. It's very easy to mix or overlook "most" and "least". Insufficient level of coffee can also make a problem.

Those who selected Read Commited probably use two isolation levels. "Clean" and "Dirty". And even an idea of cleaner than clean is horrible for them.

See, understand, learn, try, use efficient
© Dr.Plch
DBA_Dom
DBA_Dom
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (664 reputation)Say Hey Kid (664 reputation)Say Hey Kid (664 reputation)Say Hey Kid (664 reputation)Say Hey Kid (664 reputation)Say Hey Kid (664 reputation)Say Hey Kid (664 reputation)Say Hey Kid (664 reputation)

Great question, I just had to read up on this yesterday as part of an investigation. What timing. Thanks for the question.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.