Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

DB Change Management: An Automated Approach - Part 3

DB Change Management: An Automated Approach - Part 3

Author
Darren Fuller
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/
hurcane
hurcane
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (147 reputation)

I'm with you 100% on the need for an automated method to change management. I agree with you completely on how the automated process should work.

The key to making all of this work is described as the "change control tool". The problem I have is that I haven't been able to find a comprehensive change control tool that does all the things that are described in the article.

One point that is missing on the change control tool is "system data". Schema is referenced frequently, but most databases also have tables that control certain aspects of the application. This system data would also need to be kept under source control and handled automatically by the vaporous change control tool.

If somebody can recommend a change control tool that does all these things and is affordable for a team of less than 10 people, I'm all ears!

mark baekdal-145375
mark baekdal-145375
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (116 reputation)

Check out www.dbghost.com - it is the tool as talked about in Darrens article.
Clay_G
Clay_G
Valued Member
Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)Valued Member (74 reputation)

[q]"make all necessary changes to the target database to ensure that it matches the scripts"[/q]

Without the tool, this statement is the whole "ball game".

You might as well mention the tool you're flogging by name, and its price.

Darren Fuller
Darren Fuller
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)SSC Rookie (33 reputation)

Thanks for the feedback. The approach I have outlined does provide for the change control of "system data" (or "reference data" or "meta data"). It may be just a difference in terminology as I refer to this data in my articles as "static data".

I will reiterate here what has been discussed on the forum for Part 1. I have tried to write the articles as generically as possible. My goal is to convey the concepts of SQL object (and hence database) version control and automated generation of change scripts. My experience of database change management over many years has proven that huge improvements in this area are long overdue. Yes, automation of your processes requires software. But it can be software of your choosing or you can write your own. There are also some good articles around that discuss alternative approaches e.g. links to Steve Jones articles on Part 1 forum.

Thanks,

Darren Fuller

darren.fuller@innovartis.co.uk

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.