SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Old, but stable

Old, but stable

Author
Gazareth
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I'm still having nightmares from trying (and mostly failing) to get SQL 2K to work with Crystal Reports. Crazy Crying

Luckily the company was down to 3 monthly Crystal Reports by the time I started.
Of course, this was offset by the 1,000+ reports in SSRS... Blink
andrew.armitage 40391
andrew.armitage 40391
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)Forum Newbie (2 reputation)

I work for a national media company in the UK. We use SQL 2000 for ETL of sales data, and DTS to generate daily reports, directly from which commissions are paid at the end of the month. I've been begging to be moved to one of the company's existing SQL 2005 platforms for years, but because the system works I'm told I'd have to come up with a compelling business case for it :¬/

Maybe it's time I encountered some problem which "can't be done in 2000 so we'll have to upgrade"...
Gary Varga
Gary Varga
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

andrew.armitage 40391 (3/9/2012)
I work for a national media company in the UK. We use SQL 2000 for ETL of sales data, and DTS to generate daily reports, directly from which commissions are paid at the end of the month. I've been begging to be moved to one of the company's existing SQL 2005 platforms for years, but because the system works I'm told I'd have to come up with a compelling business case for it :¬/

Maybe it's time I encountered some problem which "can't be done in 2000 so we'll have to upgrade"...

In my experience it is a choice better left to others. Technical recommendations are just that. Recommendations.

This view is less to avoid taking responsibility for any results (when I recommend an action I have to stick by it anyway or change my recommendation) but more due to the scope of my recommendation tends to be technical and operational. Not financial and rarely involves business risk planning etc.

I see my opinion as input to the decision makers who control budget, resources and risk.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
IceDread
IceDread
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (521 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (521 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (521 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (521 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (521 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (521 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (521 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (521 reputation)

We do not use sql server 2000.

All thou we have sql server 2008, not the RC version... which is annoying and bad, apparently none or few before me pressed this issue. However there is work being done to prepare for sql server 2012.
charles.brochu.1964
charles.brochu.1964
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

If it is not broken ... don't fix it Wink
Lee Nadelman
Lee Nadelman
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.4K reputation)

We still have one SQL 2000 server that we have converted almost all existing DTS packages to SSIS on SQL 2008. Once that is complete we'll be able to turn off this server.
Markus
Markus
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)

We have about 40% of all of our production databases still on SQL2000 and two are the biggest systems. One of them the rollout to our first 7 stores on a new version of the app and SQL2008R2 Cluster begins Monday. SQL2000 has been very stable over the years I must say. Obviously we are fast tracking what is left on SQL2000 to 2008 right now and have a handful of others in process and a bunch more in the planning stages since Extended support for 2000 ends 3/2013.

Jim McCoy-259251
Jim McCoy-259251
Valued Member
Valued Member (59 reputation)Valued Member (59 reputation)Valued Member (59 reputation)Valued Member (59 reputation)Valued Member (59 reputation)Valued Member (59 reputation)Valued Member (59 reputation)Valued Member (59 reputation)

Absolutely!!!! We have a number of applications which function quite adequately to their tasks that require 2000 and won’t integrate with anything newer. Unless those applications are replaced or upgraded 2000 will be around for a number of years yet. All of the instances have been moved to virtual environments because in many cases the physical boxes were beginning to fail however. 05 and 08 are more prevalent with new applications but the old “steady’s” will be around for years. One of the instances will eventually go as I move the DTS packages into SSIS but there are so many I have delayed my retirement, I’m an old old old fart, entered the desktop world using CP/M from the card punch world, to finish the moves and testing. Got to ease into that new existence called re-tired slowly testing as I go you know, just tired now without the re…….
chrisn-585491
chrisn-585491
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

At the local user group, there is a significant number of folks that are still using 2000 and 2005. If it works well, the management says, why spend money and time to upgrade and test?

In local news my wife is still using Ford 1990 and I'm on Toyota 2009... :-P
EricEyster
EricEyster
Old Hand
Old Hand (382 reputation)Old Hand (382 reputation)Old Hand (382 reputation)Old Hand (382 reputation)Old Hand (382 reputation)Old Hand (382 reputation)Old Hand (382 reputation)Old Hand (382 reputation)

Still running 2000 on one server. Biggest holdup is getting business sign off that their data will still be the same after the upgrade.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.