SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Data Gravity

Data Gravity

Author
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (247K reputation)SSC Guru (247K reputation)SSC Guru (247K reputation)SSC Guru (247K reputation)SSC Guru (247K reputation)SSC Guru (247K reputation)SSC Guru (247K reputation)SSC Guru (247K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Data Gravity

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
dave hants
dave hants
Say Hey Kid
Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)Say Hey Kid (671 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
An interesting example of data gravity and cloud computing and personal data being physically held somewhere with more lax laws in your editorial Steve.....

In Europe, at least, I think the law states something like personal data cannot be physically or electronically transferred to another non-EU country. So for the EU countries, at least, I don't think this will be a future driver for distributed data.

There will be other valid drivers of course in the future for distributed/clouds etc...

Rgds,

Dave
kdv
kdv
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)SSC Veteran (206 reputation)

Another point to consider when moving data are the laws surrounding intellectual property rights and patent protection. Some countries may have less protection and so you may not want to move your data there.
Gary Varga
Gary Varga
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (38K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (38K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (38K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (38K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (38K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (38K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (38K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (38K reputation)

I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes legally relevant where the data is administered from if it isn't already.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!
Andy Leonard
Andy Leonard
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)

Interesting editorial and good points, Steve. It will be interesting to follow the economics of data gravity as the barriers (costs) to moving decline. Will we see a "haven" of virtual applications that either doesn't "tax" cloud-application-generated revenue or one that taxes it least? Food for thought...

:{>

Andy Leonard
Data Philosopher, Enterprise Data & Analytics
Ken McKelvey
Ken McKelvey
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.1K reputation)

david.moule (3/7/2012)
In Europe, at least, I think the law states something like personal data cannot be physically or electronically transferred to another non-EU country. So for the EU countries, at least, I don't think this will be a future driver for distributed data.

Not strictly true:

http://www.bbb.org/us/european-dispute-resolution/
Eric M Russell
Eric M Russell
SSC-Forever
SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)SSC-Forever (48K reputation)

Most companies won't bother trying to avoid laws like this right now, but at some point in the future, the cost of moving an application to another country might be tiny. We constantly build better tools for distributed development, deployment, and management, and whether it's a cloud infrastructure, or just a rented VM, we may find that it becomes worthwhile in some cases to move data, not just for cost reasons, but potentially to reduce the costs of compliance with local laws.

I don't think a US corporation can avoid SOX or HIPAA regulations simply by locating their applications and/or data offshore.

"The universe is complicated and for the most part beyond your control, but your life is only as complicated as you choose it to be."
James Stover
James Stover
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.1K reputation)

Doesn't the concept of a highly-interconnected network (i.e. the Internet) kind of make the issue of data location null & void? I can understand if you are running a private cloud but not the public cloud we all think of. Indeed, the ability to move data around is a good reason to use the public cloud. Should be interesting to see how this turns out. I predict a lot of lawyers involved :-)

James Stover, McDBA

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (247K reputation)SSC Guru (247K reputation)SSC Guru (247K reputation)SSC Guru (247K reputation)SSC Guru (247K reputation)SSC Guru (247K reputation)SSC Guru (247K reputation)SSC Guru (247K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Eric M Russell (3/7/2012)

I don't think a US corporation can avoid SOX or HIPAA regulations simply by locating their applications and/or data offshore.

Hope not, but more than a few have avoided gambling laws by doing so. I don't think systems have the same SOX requirements when overseas. I suspect the entire business unit might need to be there, but spinning off a company is not a big deal these days.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Jayanth_Kurup
Jayanth_Kurup
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (9.9K reputation)

While companies are trying to move to locations where laws are lax there are others that are forced to create entire datacentres for one market (china). the laws can be too restrictive that you have no choice to built out your private cloud like this. In this case the cost of building a multi tenant system was considered more than setting up to data centre

Jayanth Kurup
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.