SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Cleaning up Replication Monitor

Cleaning up Replication Monitor

Author
Wired-528862
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (128 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I would still try what Nuwins suggests. If you're having the same problem as the others on here, we didn't have an issue with the subscription, but rather the publication was still showing up when it is actually not there. This is really just a way to trick SQL. I believe once you delete a server with subscriptions on it, it contacts the distribution server and deletes those subscriptions; however, the publications can still exist. I could be wrong though.
annejo
annejo
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (216 reputation)SSC Veteran (216 reputation)SSC Veteran (216 reputation)SSC Veteran (216 reputation)SSC Veteran (216 reputation)SSC Veteran (216 reputation)SSC Veteran (216 reputation)SSC Veteran (216 reputation)

This same thing has happened to me and what resolved it in my case was to open up the MSreplication_agent_status table in tempdb and delete a record that had a publication named the same as the one I had been trying to get rid of in the first place. No more red Xs!

madyson3
madyson3
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)SSC Rookie (43 reputation)

I also had to remove remenents of the subscription from the distribution database. Tables: MSsubscriptions and MSpublications
ceeatch
ceeatch
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)SSC Rookie (25 reputation)

Take a look at distribution.dbo.MSReplication_Monitordata as well. It may indicate that you have a logreader agent still set up. I had to remove it from the MSlogreader_agents table in order for my monitor to stop reporting a replication issue when there wasn't any.

EDIT: SQL2005
wmleonar
wmleonar
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)

Nice solution, added a merge publication with the same name and was able to clear replication monitor. Thanks again!
Martin-226012
Martin-226012
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)SSC Rookie (44 reputation)

Nice !!
Adding a new Publication with the name and the deleting it worked perfectly.
Many Thanks
praveen.srpk
praveen.srpk
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)

Bravo...I'm gratified with your solution. It worked...:-)
DBA-640728
DBA-640728
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)Hall of Fame (3K reputation)

what about if you just remove the publication from the table select * from MSpublications , would that work too?
Resender
Resender
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

I got the same problem on a SQL Server 2008, a general database failure (the files got deleted and the database was put offline by sql server at the same time)occured yesterday in 1 of our non-critical databases.
It was quickly restored but the replication was unable to work again, after spending a few hours looking I found out a new publication had been created on the restored database and that this was conflicting with the publication from for the crash.

This was strange since our company policy in such cases says that the old publication has to be removed and recreated. We found out that we could recreate the publication under the old name but their were still problems. Deleting it kept it in the replication monitor, this morning I once again recreated the publication under the same name and deleted it and the publication was removed in replication monitor.
Roderick McBan
Roderick McBan
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)Grasshopper (21 reputation)

Old thread but the trick of creating a new subscription to the same target box and then cleaning it up using exec sp_dropmergesubscription worked for me too.
Replication monitor is not clean and not reporting any errors.

Oh, and I am under 2008R2
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.