Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

How to recover lost master key?

How to recover lost master key?

Author
tandrei
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hello,
We have recently took up some new machines with SP and PP based solution. After a power outage... the server logs show up lots of errors like "PerformancePoint services was unable to retrieve the Unattended Service Account password from the Secure Store. Error Details:" and of course our BI page is down.
Since I am a noob on this technology, I must get up the BI page asap.
Until now I have tried:
- create a new master key for secure service - failed with error Exception of type 'Microsoft.Office.SecureStoreService.Server.KeyManagement.InvalidMasterKeyException' was thrown.
- unable to refresh the old master key, because the password is lost
- set the unattended execution account for the PP service application - also unsuccessful because of the master key retrieve error.
I have read MS article explaining how to get rid of the error, but noone tells you what to do if you don't have your initial phrase. Is it possible to delete this masterkey so I could create a new one, because I suspect one of the reasons I can't create a new one is that the prev. one still exists.

I would appreciate your answers as situation began to escalate and mgmgt wants immediate resultsSmile

regards,
andrei turcu
BI developer HP Software
Cluj, romania

Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

Group: Administrators
If you've read a KB article, it would be good to post the # here so we know what you've done.

Is this a master key in SQL Server or is there one in Sharepoint/Powerpoint (I'm not familiar with those).

If it's in SQL Server, if this was the service master key, I think you might be stuck. Do you have master key passwords for the individual databases? Does this potentially help? http://blogs.msdn.com/b/lcris/archive/2007/11/14/sql-server-2005-how-to-recover-when-the-service-master-key-smk-is-not-accessible.aspx

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
tandrei
tandrei
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)Forum Newbie (5 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
the article is http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee924660.aspx
This is not MS SQL Server, it is a "secure store service" masterkey.

Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.