SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SQL Server 2008 R2 Data Types

SQL Server 2008 R2 Data Types

Author
Kenneth Fisher
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item SQL Server 2008 R2 Data Types

Kenneth FisherI strive to live in a world where a chicken can cross the road without being questioned about its motives.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/For better answers on performance questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLStudies.com
jeffrey.henninger
jeffrey.henninger
Valued Member
Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)Valued Member (62 reputation)

Good information. You forgot to mention the time component of the Datetime data type (00:00:00 through 23:59:59.997). Otherwise, thanks for sharing!
roger.plowman
roger.plowman
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

Very, very helpful. Maybe Microsoft should have a set of tables like this one at the front of the BOL! Smile
Jeff York-176691
Jeff York-176691
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (161 reputation)

Nice work, thank you!
Mike Dougherty-384281
Mike Dougherty-384281
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (838 reputation)SSC Eights! (838 reputation)SSC Eights! (838 reputation)SSC Eights! (838 reputation)SSC Eights! (838 reputation)SSC Eights! (838 reputation)SSC Eights! (838 reputation)SSC Eights! (838 reputation)

"A column of type sql_variant may contain rows of different data types."

fwiw: I parse that sentence at least two ways. I believe the correct meaning is that the field value on any particular row may contain a different data type than some other row.

It might also be taken as: the sql_variant type is something similar to an array that could contain rows of data. I'm sure there are a few programmers out there who would like to store a complex object like an array in a single row.

My assumption is that most DBA here simply avoid this type. I'm curious to know how/why this type is being used in the real world - and whether it can be indexed.
simon_kingston
simon_kingston
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)Grasshopper (19 reputation)

Very helpful! Thanks Kenneth. One minor spelling correction - "spacial" should be "spatial".
Kenneth Fisher
Kenneth Fisher
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.3K reputation)

Thanks for all of the great comments. I'm working on having the one spelling error corrected. I should also point out (if anyone didn't already notice) that the data type names have links to the BOL article about that particular data type.

I'll probably end up doing one of these for 2012 and I'll make sure to add in all of the corrections mentioned here.

Thanks
Kenneth

Kenneth FisherI strive to live in a world where a chicken can cross the road without being questioned about its motives.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/For better answers on performance questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLStudies.com
Jagadish Kumar Punnapu
Jagadish Kumar Punnapu
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (252 reputation)SSC Veteran (252 reputation)SSC Veteran (252 reputation)SSC Veteran (252 reputation)SSC Veteran (252 reputation)SSC Veteran (252 reputation)SSC Veteran (252 reputation)SSC Veteran (252 reputation)

Thanks for sharing this info Kenneth...
Possinator
Possinator
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (968 reputation)SSC Eights! (968 reputation)SSC Eights! (968 reputation)SSC Eights! (968 reputation)SSC Eights! (968 reputation)SSC Eights! (968 reputation)SSC Eights! (968 reputation)SSC Eights! (968 reputation)

Thanks! Very helpful. I made myself a Word version. It's attached if anyone wants it.

Looking for a Deadlock Victim Support Group..
Cliff Jones
Cliff Jones
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)

Very nice. Thanks for sharing this.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.