SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

TRUNCATE TABLE and ROLLBACK TRAN

TRUNCATE TABLE and ROLLBACK TRAN

Author
DBA_Dom
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)Ten Centuries (1K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Nice and simple. Thanks.
Evil Kraig F
Evil Kraig F
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)SSC-Insane (21K reputation)

My sincere apologies to those of you who have done counter-myth articles of this nature. I meant to say no OFFICIAL documentation on recovery mode associations, but there are blogs out there that discuss Truncate Rollbacks. Apparently I faux pas'd when I gave it to Steve. Apologies to y'alls fine work.

Thanks for all the well-wishes. And yes, the distribution is disturbing.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions | Forum Netiquette
For index/tuning help, follow these directions. |Tally Tables

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA
Paul White
Paul White
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (36K reputation)

GilaMonster (2/6/2012)
Is it bad form, if you create a QotD, to list your own article as a reference?

I hope not, since I have done this a couple of times. That said, I found two other (non-official, but well-regarded) references and listed them before my own.

Paul White
SQLPerformance.com
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
Andre Guerreiro
Andre Guerreiro
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

Thanks to Craig for the question and Paul for the link to Kalen's article.
It's really good to know that SQL Server will exclusively lock the pages that were truncated until the transaction has ended, so no inconsistent reallocations will occur.

Also about Oracle: why would they create a restriction for the TRUNCATE TABLE in later versions when in version 7 the command could be rolled back?

An excellent QoTD.

Best regards,

Andre Guerreiro Neto

Database Analyst
http://www.softplan.com.br
MCITPx1/MCTSx2/MCSE/MCSA
David Burrows
David Burrows
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

GilaMonster (2/6/2012)
Given the distribution of answers, I'm considering a followup question - "does recovery model ever affect the ability to rollback transactions?" because it appears way too many people don't understand what recovery models do.

Or maybe create MotD (Myth of the Day) :-D

Far away is close at hand in the images of elsewhere.

Anon.

Revenant
Revenant
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

David Burrows (2/8/2012)
GilaMonster (2/6/2012)
Given the distribution of answers, I'm considering a followup question - "does recovery model ever affect the ability to rollback transactions?" because it appears way too many people don't understand what recovery models do.

Or maybe create MotD (Myth of the Day) :-D

They seem to pop up on their own, without anyone really trying.
Tom Thomson
Tom Thomson
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)One Orange Chip (26K reputation)

GilaMonster (2/6/2012)
Is it bad form, if you create a QotD, to list your own article as a reference?

depends who does it. It won't be bad form if you do it.

Tom

Britt Cluff
Britt Cluff
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

Good question. I missed it but learned something.

http://brittcluff.blogspot.com/
Kwex
Kwex
Mr or Mrs. 500
Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)Mr or Mrs. 500 (501 reputation)

Good question ... thanks!
Jamie-2229
Jamie-2229
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.9K reputation)

Nice to test and show answer as absolute.

Jamie
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.