SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Renaming a Named Instance

Renaming a Named Instance

Author
Siva Ramasamy
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Is it possible to rename a named instance..?

If yes, are there any issues..?
padhis
padhis
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)

No, you can't rename the named instance.

BOL:

They can be used only to rename the part of the instance name that corresponds to the computer name. For example, you can change a computer named MB1 that hosts an instance of SQL Server named Instance1 to another name, such as MB2. However, the instance part of the name, Instance1, will remain unchanged. In this example, the \\ComputerName\InstanceName would be changed from \\MB1\Instance1 to \\MB2\Instance1
Siva Ramasamy
Siva Ramasamy
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)SSC Veteran (221 reputation)

Thanks Padhis..!

I am not able to find an installer file for the below mentioned version.. (In order to create a named instance..I need the install files right..?).

Can you help me..?

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 - 9.00.5000.00 (Intel X86) Dec 10 2010 10:56:29 Copyright (c) 1988-2005 Microsoft Corporation Standard Edition on Windows NT 5.2 (Build 3790: Service Pack 2)
padhis
padhis
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (156 reputation)

Yes you need a installer (setup) file .
donluz
donluz
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)Forum Newbie (9 reputation)

Ok, I have the setup/install files. What now? Where do I go in the installation options to rename the instance, not the computer?

Thanks for any input.
Lowell
Lowell
One Orange Chip
One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)One Orange Chip (28K reputation)

donluz (6/27/2013)
Ok, I have the setup/install files. What now? Where do I go in the installation options to rename the instance, not the computer?

Thanks for any input.

you cannot rename an instance.
you can create a new instance with the desired name, migrate settings manually via scripts, bakcup and restore user databases, and finally uninstall the old one.

Lowell

--
help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

dan-572483
dan-572483
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

This would break any code that references the instance name, any linked servers, ODBC connections or connection strings in connecting applications out there. There a lots of gotchas so I would avoid this if possible.
hari.devadas 4119
hari.devadas 4119
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)Grasshopper (16 reputation)

Geez, I was hoping instance could be renamed . Just to confirm Gurus ,you can't do the following even in 2012

sp_dropserver 'Server Name\old_instance_name'
go
sp_adderver 'Server Name\New_instance_name'
go
SQLAli
SQLAli
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)

Yes, we can rename the instance by using the below commands. I have also involved once in this activity.
sp_dropserver 'old servername'
go
sp_addserver 'new servername'
go

Thanks,
I’m nobody but still I’m somebody to someone………….
Erland Sommarskog
Erland Sommarskog
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)SSCrazy (2.1K reputation)

Again, you cannot rename an instance.

The sp_dropserver/sp_addserver applies whem you have changed the machine name in Windows. In this case you need to do "sp_dropserver oldname" followed by

sp_addserver "newname", local

to have @@servername to show the correct server name.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, www.sommarskog.se
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.