SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Strings and Defaults

Strings and Defaults

Author
Paul White
SSC-Dedicated
SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)SSC-Dedicated (35K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
GilaMonster (1/26/2012)
SQL Kiwi (1/25/2012)
Backwards compatibility has a lot to answer for. I cringe slightly every time I see a variable-length data type used without an explicit maximum length value.

Only slightly?

I am practicing the art of understatement.

Paul White
SQLPerformance.com
SQLblog.com
@SQL_Kiwi
LuciaNewbie
LuciaNewbie
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)

Good question.
Koen Verbeeck
Koen Verbeeck
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)SSC Guru (61K reputation)

I thought such a basic question, which has appeared numerous times in the QotD, would have been easier, but apparently more than 50% - at the moment - still got it wrong. Blink

How to post forum questions.
Need an answer? No, you need a question.
What’s the deal with Excel & SSIS?
My blog at SQLKover.

MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP
rfr.ferrari
rfr.ferrari
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

good question!!!

thanks Gail!!!!

rfr.ferrari
DBA - SQL Server 2008
MCITP | MCTS

remember is live or suffer twice!
the period you fastest growing is the most difficult period of your life!

Mike Is Here
Mike Is Here
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)SSCommitted (1.8K reputation)

Thanks for the question

Always a good reminder now and then.
Thomas Abraham
Thomas Abraham
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)

Nice one Gail. Always good when a question has a twist that's straightforward. (I almost went for 1 and 1, until I remembered ...) Thanks!

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
Connect to me on LinkedIn
Britt Cluff
Britt Cluff
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)SSCrazy (2.4K reputation)

Good question, thansk for submitting.

http://brittcluff.blogspot.com/
Mattrick
Mattrick
Right there with Babe
Right there with Babe (728 reputation)Right there with Babe (728 reputation)Right there with Babe (728 reputation)Right there with Babe (728 reputation)Right there with Babe (728 reputation)Right there with Babe (728 reputation)Right there with Babe (728 reputation)Right there with Babe (728 reputation)

Good question, which illustrates the importance of defining the maximum data length.

Thanks,

Matt
Data_God
Data_God
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)SSCrazy (2.3K reputation)

One has to wonder at what point will Microsoft add configuration switches (defaulted to force developers to use correct variable declarations) that would allow you to either work with backwards compatibility for things like this versus causing an error because you have not explicitly set the length of your varchar / nvarchar variables for new development projects. IMHO, continuing to allow syntax such as this just allows old habits to continue to live on without indicating that you have code that really needs to be addressed.
Daniel Bowlin
Daniel Bowlin
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)SSCertifiable (7.9K reputation)

You would have gotten me if one of the answers was
123456789012345678901234567890 and
but without that I had to dig a bit deeper.

Good question, thanks.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.