SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Unable to shrink transaction log - could not locate files

Unable to shrink transaction log - could not locate files

Author
Perry Whittle
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
what is the recovery model of your database?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" ;-)
azdzn
azdzn
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)SSCrazy (2K reputation)

ScottPletcher (1/10/2012)
Given that this is SQL 2008 (or SQL 2005 at least), you mean:

SELECT *
FROM test.sys.database_files

right? :-)

Yes of course :-)

george sibbald
george sibbald
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)

I would not expect it to give the error you see, but anyway the truncateonly option has no effect when applied to a log shrink

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Perry Whittle
Perry Whittle
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)SSC Guru (51K reputation)

when the database is in full recovery model and you delete a log file, it will still list in sys.database_files and sys.master_files.
You must take a transaction log backup and the file will be removed from the catalogs mentioned above.

For databases in simple recovery the file will go immediately!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" ;-)
jpomfret7
jpomfret7
Old Hand
Old Hand (394 reputation)Old Hand (394 reputation)Old Hand (394 reputation)Old Hand (394 reputation)Old Hand (394 reputation)Old Hand (394 reputation)Old Hand (394 reputation)Old Hand (394 reputation)

To be safe, you really should run against test.sys.database_files

The file name and info matches in sys.database_files, sys.master_files, sys.sysaltfiles and dbo.sysfiles...

We are in simple recovery and I ran a checkpoint before attempting to shrink the logs

I would not expect it to give the error you see, but anyway the truncateonly option has no effect when applied to a log shrink

I have used this script on other servers and been able to free up log space, what should be used?

It's a puzzle, thanks for all your help so far Smile
george sibbald
george sibbald
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)

I have used this script on other servers and been able to free up log space, what should be used?

the parameter is ignored, so the shrink command defaults to trying to shrink to the default file size (size the file was created). You should specify a target size.

Jared Karney
Jared Karney
SSChampion
SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)SSChampion (12K reputation)

jpomfret7 (1/10/2012)
To be safe, you really should run against test.sys.database_files

The file name and info matches in sys.database_files, sys.master_files, sys.sysaltfiles and dbo.sysfiles...

We are in simple recovery and I ran a checkpoint before attempting to shrink the logs

It's a puzzle, thanks for all your help so far Smile

I just always did this when needed:

USE test
DBCC SHRINKFILE(2,20)

Since we already know that the fileid is 2, go ahead and try this.

Thanks,
Jared
PFE - Microsoft
SQL Know-It-All
How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help - Jeff Moden
jpomfret7
jpomfret7
Old Hand
Old Hand (394 reputation)Old Hand (394 reputation)Old Hand (394 reputation)Old Hand (394 reputation)Old Hand (394 reputation)Old Hand (394 reputation)Old Hand (394 reputation)Old Hand (394 reputation)

USE test
DBCC SHRINKFILE(2,20)
Since we already know that the fileid is 2, go ahead and try this.

Hooray!! That worked!

Did some additional testing there must be something weird going on with the file name because using the file id instead of logical name for DBCC SHRINKFILE(2, TRUNCATEONLY) works also.

Still a weird issue but thanks everyone for there help on this!
george sibbald
george sibbald
SSC-Insane

Interesting, thanks for posting that back.

Just curious, if you did still use truncateonly (naughty :-) ), what did the file shrink to?

jpomfret7
jpomfret7
Old Hand

The test log shrank to 3mb.

My aim is to shrink the log files as small as possible so I can manually allocate the initial size. We are seeing high numbers of VLF's for each log due to inappropriate growth settings. So at the end of the day the log files will be a decent size for the database and not be internally fragmented.

Here's a pretty good article that explains it better than I do Smile
http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/database-administration/monitoring-sql-server-virtual-log-file-fragmentation/

Thanks again!
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.