Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

SSMS Shared SQL Templates

SSMS Shared SQL Templates

Author
CarlDemelo
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item SSMS Shared SQL Templates
David McKinney
David McKinney
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (871 reputation)SSC Eights! (871 reputation)SSC Eights! (871 reputation)SSC Eights! (871 reputation)SSC Eights! (871 reputation)SSC Eights! (871 reputation)SSC Eights! (871 reputation)SSC Eights! (871 reputation)

Very clear and nice writing style....thanks.
jcrawf02
jcrawf02
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)SSCommitted (1.6K reputation)

I hadn't thought of using the directory link, we use something similar for our SQL Prompt snippets rather than templates.

What if one of your users wanted to have their own version of something, and didn't want to share? This is our (my) situation, and our solution was to create a cmd file that sits in the startup folder, and copies down the scripts from the shared location to the local directory on login.

In this way, I still get shared scripts, I can still save the ones I want to share to the main location, but I can develop my own without worrying about cluttering up everyone else's.

---------------------------------------------------------
How best to post your question
How to post performance problems
Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."
fmblopes
fmblopes
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)

Very well written article. Since the mklink feature is only available on Windows 7, I decided to share a tool that I've been using for quite a while to achieve the same functionality on Windows XP.

This tool is called Junction and is part of the Sysinternals suite of tools that everybody loves.
Download it from here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768
CGSJohnson
CGSJohnson
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

Thanks for the article.

To use shared templates, we overwrite the existing templates, whichever ones we want/need, with ours. We distributed a batch file to perform this action.

Thanks...Chris
CarlDemelo
CarlDemelo
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)Forum Newbie (7 reputation)

Thank you. I really enjoy the technical writing and hope to publish more.

-- Carl
b3236551
b3236551
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Great article! I haven't been involved for too long with SQL Server but you seem to know a lot about the inner workings. It's too bad that a lot of so called DBA's only know the gui. Hope to see more articles from you soon.
Heslous
Heslous
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)Forum Newbie (4 reputation)

Thanks a lot for this Artcicle
I used to create a separate folder "MY TEMPLATES" in the Sql Path but doing your way i can now leave my MY TEMPLATES in my own directory and not have to paste it in the Sql path

Steph
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.