SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

How view will help in performance and how can i identify tempdb is full

How view will help in performance and how can i identify tempdb is full

Author
vaithi.saran846
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (212 reputation)SSC Veteran (212 reputation)SSC Veteran (212 reputation)SSC Veteran (212 reputation)SSC Veteran (212 reputation)SSC Veteran (212 reputation)SSC Veteran (212 reputation)SSC Veteran (212 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

what is the main advantage of view.? How view will help in performance. consider i have the some complex select query and i am running that in sql server and it is taking lot of time. In this case if i use view, how it will affect? whether the time taken by select query will reduce?

regards,
vaithilingam.k
saravanan.ayyasamy
saravanan.ayyasamy
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)

View is mainly used for encapsulation, that is, hiding the complexity. In terms of performance, It will not help you a lot. For that, you need to go with " indexed views "
ChrisM@home
ChrisM@home
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)

vaithi.saran846 (12/29/2011)
Hi,

what is the main advantage of view.? How view will help in performance. consider i have the some complex select query and i am running that in sql server and it is taking lot of time. In this case if i use view, how it will affect? whether the time taken by select query will reduce?

regards,
vaithilingam.k

If you're having problems with the performance of a complex query, why not post the query and the actual execution plan? Chances are, folks here will make suggestions to improve performance - and you are very likely to learn something useful too.

Low-hanging fruit picker and defender of the moggies

For better assistance in answering your questions, please read this.

Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White

Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden
vaithi.saran846
vaithi.saran846
SSC Veteran
SSC Veteran (212 reputation)SSC Veteran (212 reputation)SSC Veteran (212 reputation)SSC Veteran (212 reputation)SSC Veteran (212 reputation)SSC Veteran (212 reputation)SSC Veteran (212 reputation)SSC Veteran (212 reputation)

Hi

I got the things about view. But what about the tempdb details. How can i identify whether the tempdb is full or not?
LutzM
LutzM
SSC-Insane
SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)SSC-Insane (23K reputation)

Are those questions part of an interview?

Lutz
A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

How to get fast answers to your question
How to post performance related questions
Links for Tally Table , Cross Tabs and Dynamic Cross Tabs , Delimited Split Function
saravanan.ayyasamy
saravanan.ayyasamy
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)Grasshopper (11 reputation)

Hi,
Here you go:

use tempdb
select name,(size*8)/1024 as Current_Size_MB,(max_size*8)/1024 as Total_Size_MB from sys.database_files
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.