SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

GOTO and T-SQL

GOTO and T-SQL

Author
Phil Factor
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.8K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item GOTO and T-SQL

Best wishes,

Phil Factor
Simple Talk
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)SSC Guru (212K reputation)

Well said, Phil. Perhaps this very well written editorial could be followed by a deeper article on why people shouldn't jump the gun because they read a title or an article by a famous author. Like Sergiy taught me, "A Developer must NOT GUESS! A Developer must know." The only way to know is to do some additional research and conduct your own tests with an open mind.

I've run into similar problems. For example, I've been told by a couple of friend DBAs in the past that we don't have to concern ourselves with properly sizing a database, that SQL Server was built to automatically handle all of that right from the startup of a new server. The information came from a sentence in the front of a book written by a very well known and respected author. People just don't understand that even "experts" like well known authors can make a "mistrake". ;-)

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
Riken Patel
Riken Patel
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (165 reputation)

Well said. When I read the first part of your paragraph I was shocked to see that I am being told not to use GOTO.

I had a similar reaction when reading an article about not using DBCC SHRINKFILE, at the start it was NO NO NO. But reading the whole article tells you that is not the case. I'm sure many people must read the first bit and leave it at that.
IceDread
IceDread
SSC Eights!
SSC Eights! (947 reputation)SSC Eights! (947 reputation)SSC Eights! (947 reputation)SSC Eights! (947 reputation)SSC Eights! (947 reputation)SSC Eights! (947 reputation)SSC Eights! (947 reputation)SSC Eights! (947 reputation)

I have never felt the need to write a goto statement.
ChiragNS
ChiragNS
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (6.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (6.6K reputation)

I like this sentence in the article.

It is a shame that useful, but subtle, guidance can morph so rapidly into a ‘policy’ that becomes ‘mandatory’.

"Keep Trying"
Samuel Vella
Samuel Vella
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

It can work the other way too, where something is promoted early in an article and then disparaged straight after. Of course, once a reader has read the for arguements, they feel that they understand the subject and decide not to read any more.

The waterfall accident: http://pascal.gugenberger.net/thoughts/waterfall-accident.html
Dave Poole
Dave Poole
SSCoach
SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)SSCoach (16K reputation)

I very rarely use GOTO, in fact I cannot remember when I last used it.

If I have a large stored proc with a complex transaction then on failure of any part of the transaction I might use GOTO to jump to the ROLLBACK TRANSACTION code.

To be honest, TRY...CATCH handles most scenarios for me.

GOTO is useful when some processing logic results in a value that indicates that the rest of the transactional process should not proceed.
The alternative is to set a BIT variable to TRUE and after each step in the transaction set it to FALSE if the success criteria is not met.
Wrap each step in the transaction up in
IF @SuccessFLAG=1
BEGIN
END

LinkedIn Profile
www.simple-talk.com
call.copse
call.copse
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.6K reputation)

I think GOTO is great and like to employ it at every opportunity. How else do you sensibly structure conditional exit points?

Just kidding. I don't think I've ever felt the need in my SQL or code of any sort - save perhaps some error handling in Access if I can remember that far back? Anyway I would not be scared if I did need to use it it's fair to say.
Andrew Watson-478275
Andrew Watson-478275
SSCrazy
SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)SSCrazy (2.2K reputation)

I found myself using one just the other day, and although it was by far the neatest and most readable option for the logic I was using, I still felt the need to add an apology in the comments!

Like everything (even, dare I say it, cursors), it's got its place, but anything more than occasional use should be a pointer for closer scrutiny.
Resender
Resender
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

In an age when animal could still speak...
Ok, not that long ago, about 12 years ago I got my first programming lessons I used the GOTO instead of using OO functions.
Over the years as my knowledge of programming grew and my enthusiasm to program grew less, I started to replace the GOTO less.

I didn't even know that it was in the SQL options.
In programming I can think of one use to still use it, to quickly skip code your debugging but the project can no longer wait to go live.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.
You can't edit other posts.