SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Red Gate Software announces DBA in Space competition winner

Red Gate Software announces DBA in Space competition winner

Author
Press Release
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.2K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Red Gate Software announces DBA in Space competition winner
Stephen E. Cook
Stephen E. Cook
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

How disappointing. What a waste of a free trip to SPACE!

-- Stephen Cook
ken.trock
ken.trock
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)SSCommitted (2K reputation)

Stephen E. Cook (12/21/2011)
How disappointing. What a waste of a free trip to SPACE!

Agreed, at this point it's just a cash prize. Maybe one of the stipulations for contest could have been that there is no alternative, you HAVE to take the trip into space; unless you suffer from motion sickness :-D
thermanson
thermanson
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (179 reputation)

Does anyone know how much a trip to space costs? Seems like it would be a lot more than $100,000.
SQLRNNR
SQLRNNR
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (100K reputation)SSC Guru (100K reputation)SSC Guru (100K reputation)SSC Guru (100K reputation)SSC Guru (100K reputation)SSC Guru (100K reputation)SSC Guru (100K reputation)SSC Guru (100K reputation)

Congrats Joe.

Jason AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
I have given a name to my pain...
MCM SQL Server, MVP

SQL RNNR

Posting Performance Based Questions - Gail Shaw

bcsims 90437
bcsims 90437
Old Hand
Old Hand (347 reputation)Old Hand (347 reputation)Old Hand (347 reputation)Old Hand (347 reputation)Old Hand (347 reputation)Old Hand (347 reputation)Old Hand (347 reputation)Old Hand (347 reputation)

Congrats are in order! Congrats Joe.

I am disappointed that there will be no trip into space for us to follow.
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)

Group: Administrators
Congrats, Joe, and hope you get to space in a few years.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Steve Jones
Steve Jones
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)SSC Guru (223K reputation)

Group: Administrators
thermanson (12/21/2011)
Does anyone know how much a trip to space costs? Seems like it would be a lot more than $100,000.

Space Adventures - from $110k (http://www.spaceadventures.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=suborbital.welcome)

Virgin Galactic - $200k (http://www.virgingalactic.com/booking/)

I heard recently Paul Allen is also starting a company to provide space flights.

Follow me on Twitter: @way0utwest
Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help
My Blog: www.voiceofthedba.com
Jeff Moden
Jeff Moden
SSC Guru
SSC Guru (339K reputation)SSC Guru (339K reputation)SSC Guru (339K reputation)SSC Guru (339K reputation)SSC Guru (339K reputation)SSC Guru (339K reputation)SSC Guru (339K reputation)SSC Guru (339K reputation)

Whether you actually use the money for a space trip or not, congratulations for answering all of the questions and the rigors of both a public vote and judgement by a panel. Well done!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced ree-bar and is a Modenism for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
Stop thinking about what you want to do to a row... think, instead, of what you want to do to a column.
If you think its expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. -- Red Adair

Helpful Links:
How to post code problems
How to post performance problems
Forum FAQs
joe.d.miller
joe.d.miller
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

Thanks, everyone.

Believe me, I agonized over the decision. But in the end, I couldn't get past the fact that the ticket offered by the contest was non-transferable. If I came down with a heart condition, or diabetes, or some other condition that would prevent me from passing the medical screening, nobody would be able to take my place.

However, after speaking with Space Adventures, I learned that their standard Terms & Conditions have no such limitation, and contain provisions for transferring the ticket in case of illness, death, or whatever. So if something happens to me, I can give the flight to my son, or brother, or somebody else that I know would appreciate the experience.

To put it in terms everybody can understand, I didn't like being the single point of failure Smile

I've already talked to Space Adventures, and committed to becoming a customer as soon as I have the funds available.

Joe
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.