SQL Clone
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

2008 distributor and 2005 publisher (Transactional Replication)

2008 distributor and 2005 publisher (Transactional Replication)

Author
Dpac
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Hi,

I have configured distributor on Sql server 2008 and I'm trying to create a a publication on a server ( sql server 2005). I get the following error when i try to create a publication through the sql server 2008 ssms .

SQL Server could not connect to the Distributor using the specified password.

Connection to server [Serv1] failed.

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "8xxxxxxxxA-Bxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxx" returned message "Login timeout expired".

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "8xxxxxxxxA-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxxxxxxxx" returned message "An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.".

The sql server versions are :

9.00.1399.06 RTM
Enterprise Edition (64-bit) (Sql server 2005) publisher

9.00.3042.00 SP2
Developer Edition (64-bit) (Sql server 2005)- publisher

10.50.1600.1 RTM
Standard Edition (64-bit) (sql server 2008)- Distributor
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Leo
nvkumar12
nvkumar12
SSC Journeyman
SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)SSC Journeyman (97 reputation)

from the above mentioned publisher,which version of 2005 are you using. is it Dev or Enterprise.
Suresh B.
Suresh B.
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)

Dpac (12/8/2011)
...this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.".

Check whether remote connection is enabled or not.
Divine Flame
Divine Flame
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)

Dpac (12/8/2011)
Hi,

SQL Server could not connect to the Distributor using the specified password.

Connection to server [RS02] failed.

OLE DB provider "SQLNCLI" for linked server "8xxxxxxxxA-Bxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxx" returned message "Login timeout expired".

Try adding a host file entry in the publisher for distributor server. Likewise add a host file entry in distributor server for publisher server. That may resolve your issue.

P.S. I am assuming that you are providing the correct password which you have set during the replication configuration.

Sujeet Singh
Dpac
Dpac
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)SSC Rookie (26 reputation)

I had to create an alias to the distributor on the publisher to solve the issue. Thanks
Divine Flame
Divine Flame
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.5K reputation)

Glad to hear this :-)

Sujeet Singh
Suresh B.
Suresh B.
SSCertifiable
SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)SSCertifiable (5.2K reputation)

Dpac (12/12/2011)
I had to create an alias to the distributor on the publisher to solve the issue. Thanks

Thanks for posting the solution. It will help others.
DBASnoozer
DBASnoozer
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)Forum Newbie (1 reputation)

I'm having the same issue. Can you explain how you created an alias?

Thanks.
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.
You can't edit other topics.
You can't delete other topics.
You can't edit your own posts.