Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Heath Normal Form

Heath Normal Form

Author
paul s-306273
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)SSCommitted (1.9K reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
I'd like to say I don't like these questions - but looking at the posts I appear to be in the minority!

Anybody else out there with me?
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)

L' Eomot Inversé (11/13/2011)
But I wonder how long it will be before someone claims it's a trick question? Hehe

Trick question! :-P

Just kidding, of course. Thanks for the question. I think I encountered the term Heath Normal Form once, but too long ago to be able to answer the question without the help of my good friend Google.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Andrew Watson-478275
Andrew Watson-478275
SSCommitted
SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)SSCommitted (1.7K reputation)

Google too (it's been a while since college, and theat's the only time I've really known all the names of things). Of course by now, the top hit on Google for "Heath Normal Form" is this question itself!
martin.whitton
martin.whitton
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

paul s-306273 (11/14/2011)
I'd like to say I don't like these questions - but looking at the posts I appear to be in the minority!

I have to say I'm with you on this one, Paul.

I do acknowledge that different people have different styles of learning and working, and for some people memorizing all the nuances of normalization theory may genuinely help them in their work.

However, the fact that Hugo admits to having to Google this one might suggest that this question is a little on the esoteric side, and that you could be quite good at your job without knowing or caring about the answer!
TomThomson
TomThomson
SSChampion
SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)SSChampion (10K reputation)

martin.whitton (11/14/2011)
paul s-306273 (11/14/2011)

I have to say I'm with you on this one, Paul.

I do acknowledge that different people have different styles of learning and working, and for some people memorizing all the nuances of normalization theory may genuinely help them in their work.

However, the fact that Hugo admits to having to Google this one might suggest that this question is a little on the esoteric side, and that you could be quite good at your job without knowing or caring about the answer!

I don't for a moment imagine that knowing that Chris Date suggested that Heath Normal Form night be a more suitable name than Boyce-Codd Normal Form would help anyone in their work (unless perhaps their work was writing a book about the history of relation theory development in the early years). But a lot of people find this kind of trivia fun, and there's always the hope that some people will read up either the papers referenced in the explanation or some of the things they find when googling for an answer and learn something useful from that.

Tom

martin.whitton
martin.whitton
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.3K reputation)

L' Eomot Inversé (11/14/2011)
[quote]martin.whitton (11/14/2011)
[quote]paul s-306273 (11/14/2011)

I don't for a moment imagine that knowing that Chris Date suggested that Heath Normal Form night be a more suitable name than Boyce-Codd Normal Form would help anyone in their work (unless perhaps their work was writing a book about the history of relation theory development in the early years). But a lot of people find this kind of trivia fun, and there's always the hope that some people will read up either the papers referenced in the explanation or some of the things they find when googling for an answer and learn something useful from that.

Those are valid points, Tom.

I'm quite happy to see questions like this appear from time to time; they just don't suit me personally.

And maybe I'm just a little bit grumpy today because I lost my 2 points!
Hugo Kornelis
Hugo Kornelis
SSCrazy Eights
SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)SSCrazy Eights (8.3K reputation)

martin.whitton (11/14/2011)

I think that if "you could be quite good at your job without knowing or caring about the answer" is the measure for the QotD, then we could remove, depending on the exact job people are doing, somewhere between 80-90% of all questions.
I never use BI in my work. Yet, I like QotD questions about BI, because they force me to look into technology I normally don't use, and help me learn. I also like trivia questions like this one, because I like to know a bit more than just the bare technical knowledge my job requires - and I also hope that this question will contribute a bit to making the issue and importance of normalization more well-known.

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server MVP
Visit my SQL Server blog: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/hugo_kornelis
Chris Houghton
Chris Houghton
SSChasing Mays
SSChasing Mays (622 reputation)SSChasing Mays (622 reputation)SSChasing Mays (622 reputation)SSChasing Mays (622 reputation)SSChasing Mays (622 reputation)SSChasing Mays (622 reputation)SSChasing Mays (622 reputation)SSChasing Mays (622 reputation)

My powers of guess work are strong today Smile
rfr.ferrari
rfr.ferrari
Ten Centuries
Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)Ten Centuries (1.4K reputation)

thanks for the question, Tom!!!!!

rfr.ferrari
DBA - SQL Server 2008
MCITP | MCTS

remember is live or suffer twice!
the period you fastest growing is the most difficult period of your life!

mtassin
mtassin
SSCarpal Tunnel
SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)SSCarpal Tunnel (4.1K reputation)

Hugo Kornelis (11/14/2011)
[quote]martin.whitton (11/14/2011)

I never use BI in my work. Yet, I like QotD questions about BI, because they force me to look into technology I normally don't use, and help me learn. I also like trivia questions like this one, because I like to know a bit more than just the bare technical knowledge my job requires - and I also hope that this question will contribute a bit to making the issue and importance of normalization more well-known.

I could surprise you here. After setting up my scripts to capture wait state differentials from my production server. I had to bumble my way through PowerPivot to develop some nice quick and easy to use dashboards on the BI server so I could analyze them easily and simply.

If I didn't feel like a bumbling PowerPivot fool, I think I'd write a PowerPivot article for SSC. Some of the rest of the BI stuff from MS can be wonky (Report Models/Report Builder amaze me at how stupid some of the parts of them work compared to something like Crystal Reports, and SSAS makes me scream when I want to do something that seems to be relatively simple and leaves me befuddled), but PowerPivot is a nice simple and powerful tool (I guess until I want to calculate a median, since it's an SSAS derivative that will likely cause me to start the screaming fest all over again).

--Mark Tassin
MCITP - SQL Server DBA
Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
For help with Performance click this link
For tips on how to post your problems
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.