Click here to monitor SSC
SQLServerCentral is supported by Redgate

Custom SSMS Shortcuts for ETL Developer. Part 3: Source-Target Mapping

Custom SSMS Shortcuts for ETL Developer. Part 3: Source-Target Mapping

Author
Olga Klimova
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)

Group: General Forum Members
Comments posted to this topic are about the item Custom SSMS Shortcuts for ETL Developer. Part 3: Source-Target Mapping

Olga Klimova
BI Consultant, MCITP
www.returnonintelligence.ca
SaintGr8
SaintGr8
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)

I so much enjoyed the lecture. I mean this is simply beautiful. I cannot wait to have it up and running in my environment.
I ran the query [sp_SourceTargetMapping] and then drag the Person.Person Table unto the query window after setting up the shortcut for execution but got the following error:

Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 1
Incorrect syntax near '.'.
Does it matter which database is used to run the proc?
Is there anything that I should change in the s. proc e.g @tablename?
Please help out.
Thank you
Daniel Parkinson
Daniel Parkinson
SSC-Enthusiastic
SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)SSC-Enthusiastic (187 reputation)

First time I've actually done anything with the short cuts, pretty cool!
kev4king2000
kev4king2000
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)

Thanks a lot for the lovely teaching.But how do I implement it to work in my environment?
Olga Klimova
Olga Klimova
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)Grasshopper (13 reputation)

Thank you!
Please make sure you're enclosing the entire table name in delimited identifiers (quotation marks or brackets - the same measures required as I commented in http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1179153-3010-3.aspx).
And yes, you need to connect to the 'source' database this table belongs to (AdventureWorks2008R2 in this case).

Olga Klimova
BI Consultant, MCITP
kev4king2000
kev4king2000
Grasshopper
Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)Grasshopper (15 reputation)

Thanks a lot for the lovely teaching.
This proc was ran against Adventureworks2008 without changing anything in the original code.
Do I need to change @TableName to any name in the Adventureworks2008 table? Because when I ran the code I got an error like this:
Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 1
Incorrect syntax near '.'.
I'd love to know why it didn't work.
Please elaborate on this.
Thank you.
Olga Klimova
Olga Klimova
Grasshopper

Thank you!
In regard to Incorrect syntax near '.':
Please make sure you're enclosing the entire table name in delimited identifiers - use quotation marks or brackets: "Person.Person" (the same measures required as I commented earlier).
And yes, you need to connect to the 'source' database this table belongs to (AdventureWorks2008R2 in this case).

Olga Klimova
BI Consultant, MCITP
SaintGr8
SaintGr8
SSC Rookie
SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)SSC Rookie (49 reputation)

Beautiful!
It works. Olga, you rock!
kev4king2000
kev4king2000
Grasshopper

Wow! thanks a lot Olga. It works.

Nice one.
Thomas LeBlanc
Thomas LeBlanc
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)Hall of Fame (3.8K reputation)

I get SELECT * FROM [Person].[Contact] when I run it.

Thanks,
Thomas

Thomas LeBlanc, MCITP DBA 2005, 2008 & MCDBA 2000
http://thesmilingdba.blogspot.com/
Go

Permissions

You can't post new topics.
You can't post topic replies.
You can't post new polls.
You can't post replies to polls.
You can't edit your own topics.
You can't delete your own topics.